• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

[2004 NHB EP3] - Failing Clutch?

Morning all,

Noticed since I purchased my CTR that it has become increasingly difficult to engage gears. For example it is now impossible to try and select first if the car is anything but stationary.

Will normally fail to engage into second from first at anything over 6k.

I assume this is indicative of a failing clutch. The pedal does not seem excessively high and there doesn't appear to be any clutch slip. On a slightly related note, when sat at idle the engine does seem to vibrate quite a bit. Oh and I do have the clutch pedal squeak too.

So, all in all, do I need a new clutch?

I've started asking round for a few prices:

TGM £450. Hendy Honda £500.

Thanks

Mike

Yes it's the clutch.

The pedal gets lower when it's worn not higher, quirk of the hydraulics.

They don't tend to slip either, not that much torque from the engine for it to slip unless it is really far gone, but do give exactly the symptoms you're describing.

I am wondering if my ctr needs a new clutch too, when driving my car and when I just coming to a stop, clutch in my ctr dies, please, any help will be great.

Afternoon guys,

Thanks for the replies. The clutch does not appear to be slipping at all, however, the biting point now has a massive range. The clutch does not disengage until the pedal is to the floor and doesnt re-engage until the pedal has reached the top of its travel.

I am trying to book it in to Hendy Honda, however, can anyone confirm what exact parts require changing?

Pressure Plate
Friction Disc
Release Bearing

Thanks

Mike

Thanks dotty, I was just checking what the clutch kit would contain as I am waiting on an email from the dealership to clarify this.

Clutch kit is usually the friction disc, pressure plate and release bearing.

Over time, as the friction disc wears, the pressure plate has to travel further to clamp it against the flywheel. Hence the low pedal.

Low bite point is due to the pressure plate springs weakening and the pedal travel being reduced.

So with a worn disc and weak springs, you'd get a low pedal with small travel and low bite point.

mines doing exactly the same but it is at 99k though. going to change it when the weather warms up a bit

does anyone know how long they can last in this state if driven normally ? just to give me an idea of how long its got left

Mine has been doing the exact same thing and I've been told by 3 mechanics it's definitely the clutch, I've now done 2k miles since it started (mostly motorway miles) and it hasn't got any worse but I'm getting it changed in the next week or so which I hope cures the problem!

Clutch kit is usually the friction disc, pressure plate and release bearing.

Over time, as the friction disc wears, the pressure plate has to travel further to clamp it against the flywheel. Hence the low pedal.

Low bite point is due to the pressure plate springs weakening and the pedal travel being reduced.

So with a worn disc and weak springs, you'd get a low pedal with small travel and low bite point.

Doesn't explain the high biting point then..

That could be a bent pressure plate. The difficulty in changing will be because the clutch isn't fully disengaging when you press the pedal.

Doesn't explain the high biting point then..

Well, it could. Because weak springs will cause a low pedal but also it can manifest itself as high bite point too in the pedals shorter travel.

And as lox has said, clutch won't fully disengage.

as im typing this question i know i will get shot down in flames lol but.........

i see a re manufactured plate kit on ebay at the moment for £50 ! £100 saving. ive fitted a remanufactured one many years ago to an old car and it was ok :twisted:

runs and hides

Just dropped her off to have a new clutch fitted tomorrow, just have to read up on the best procedure for breaking the new one in now.

as im typing this question i know i will get shot down in flames lol but.........

i see a re manufactured plate kit on ebay at the moment for £50 ! £100 saving. ive fitted a remanufactured one many years ago to an old car and it was ok :twisted:

runs and hides

You better run. Bet you like remould tyres and used engine oil too. :D

Just dropped her off to have a new clutch fitted tomorrow, just have to read up on the best procedure for breaking the new one in now.

Drive sensibly, no launches or drag starts. Keep the revs low to start off for a couple of hundred miles etc.

Back