• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2005 Civic Type-R Lower Grille Question

Hi. I've recently bought a 2005 EP3 (AC), which had its front end replaced with secondhand parts after a crash when it was a few months old. I've noticed that the lower grille has some of its area blocked off on the nearside by plastic 'blanking panels'.

From what I've seen, earlier cars have bumpers with these blanking panels but late ones (05 and 55reg) do not have them. Does anyone know why they were used, and at what point production switched over to the non blanking ones? I'm not sure whether my early 2005 Model Year car should have them or not.

Thanks

Hi. I've recently bought a 2005 EP3 (AC), which had its front end replaced with secondhand parts after a crash when it was a few months old. I've noticed that the lower grille has some of its area blocked off on the nearside by plastic 'blanking panels'.

From what I've seen, earlier cars have bumpers with these blanking panels but late ones (05 and 55reg) do not have them. Does anyone know why they were used, and at what point production switched over to the non blanking ones? I'm not sure whether my early 2005 Model Year car should have them or not.

Thanks
not totaly sure what you mean mate. but the facelift change was in 04 so if there was a cosmetic change it would have been then. i can only asume that they have used pre facelift parts. when it was repaired

Sorry for any confusion

Sorry for any confusion, I'll post a photo to show what I mean.. and will check the bumper for manufacture dates etc!

IIRC they're supposed to be removed when AC is fitted. My non-AC '03 had them.

Going off all the CTR's ive seen up close i can safely say that the non AC cars have these "blanking plates" and the AC ones just have the opening. Either that or its a massive coincedince :eek:

I haven't got a clue why to be honest, unless its just something to do with the condenser :confused:

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Seems that it's quite random. I'll try not to lose sleep over it!

Whilst unsuccessfully looking for a part number on the bumper I discovered that my Type-R is lacking the splash guard under the front bumper. Does anyone have a spare one lying around?

Back