• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2005 ep3 cut out

Hello all

Seasons greetings!

Well, after 165,000 pretty much flawless miles in my 2005 ep3, I have had my first ever breakdown. I was turning into a parking space and as I turned the wheel the abs light started flickering and the radio cut out. I stopped turning the wheel and the problem went away (radio came back on, abs light went off). When I turned the wheel again the problem came back also with the power steering feeling like it was kicking in and out.

After parking up, the car would not restart. I push started it but had to keep my foot on the accelerator to stop it from cutting out, even after driving 10 miles on the motorway.

managed to get home braking through the gears and with the handbrake.

Is there any way to check what could be causing this (e.g. battery, alternator or something else)? Or does anyone have any idea what it could be from this description? Also when I switched the heaters on to de-mist, there was a burning/hot electrical smell.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has had this problem or thoughts as to what the issue could be.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Not had that exact problem but does sound battery/alternator related. You can get the battery tested easily enough.

Burning smell is a bit worrying though. :eek:

Thanks very much Loxy.

I will get the battery checked and see what's happening. Yes, the burning smell wasn't a great addition to the situation!

I'll re-post when I find out what's going on, in case anyone else has the same problem.

Cheers

Jim

Back