• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2006 Cosmic Grey EP3 - Mild track project

Gents, I thought I would start to document the progress on the EP3:

I actually took this off my mums hands about 6months ago, I needed to raise money for a house deposit and having just owned my FN2 for 10months we thought it would make sense to do a part exchange. The EP3 was more suited to my needs too, I needed to get back on track. The FN2 was too nice too pull apart and requires more fettling to get it ready for track IMO.

She owned the car for 5 years, and it's now just ticked over 70k.

Before we car swapped:

Little bit of history:

My first DOHC VTEC - '99 EK4 SiR, First owner since it's trip from Tokyo, Another major regret since it was the cleanest EK I've come across.

Was great fun and saw a lot of the circuit, I stuck an MF 3-4-5 in it, Ran a 14.7 with full interior which isn't bad for a lowly B16.

Fathers previous DC2 (He has just bought a fresh import NH-0 EP3)

My previous '99 DC2 which I imported in 2014 - Sold due to practicality/storage issues stupidly.

I did about 6-7 trackdays in the DC2 including a Nurburgring trip, Amazing car.

The 2008 Alabaster FN2, I love FN2's in silver.

Wrote a little article on the FN2 for the PH Carpool section for those interested:

http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-carpool/honda-civic-type-r-ph-carpool/33261

So, The EP3:

I delivered the FN2 to Northern Ireland from Newcastle which is where I currently reside, Collected the EP3 after 15mins gave it blast up through the gears or at least tried, It wouldn't take a gear above 7-7.5k RPM, Not a great start but obviously my mum would have never noticed this and my dad rarely drove the car. So a new clutch was required, I cruised the car back to the mainland and bought an OEM clutch kit, MTF3 and got my J's sump plug fitted. Gearbox felt amazing after the work, It takes any gear any time now and couldn't believe how slick gear changes felt.

Back to the mainland:

Gave the bay a much needed clean:

Fitted my broadway I picked up at Super Autobacs this year:

Fitted some new drop links after the clutch change required one of the OEM ones to be chopped off, Meyle HD, 4 year warranty, £25 delivered and couldn't recommend them enough.

Bought a used J's racing 60RR Catback - Great idea in hindsight.

Cleaned up a bit:

New O2 sensor, 2nd one I've replaced now:

I loved the look, note and quality of J's exhaust, I just couldn't put up with the volume in my neighbourhood so I sold the backbox and kept the B-pipe on. Was surprised how much more lively the car felt on the way home from fitting the catback.

Gave it a polish and wax using my poorboys gear, I'm not one for detailing but I like some paint protection to make life easier.

Gave the dirty AEM Dryflow filter a wash which actually made the car feel a bit more eager in the higher part of the rev range.

Bought a 3/8" bung and some vacuum plugs to get rid of the air bypass valve as mine was cracked.

Out with the lads:

With it's first track outing imminent, Croft, I did my best getting it in to some shape since i had just moved in to my new/first home, I did what I could.

RBF 600 & PBS Pads:

My previous brakes were definitely past their best:

MTEC C-Hook discs, Cheap and cheerful but I've never had a problem with M-tec's juddering, I've cracked a couple of the slotted versions on my DC2, But for the price and constancy on track I rate them.

And so the trouble began, The NS caliper piston would not retract far enough far enough to accept the new discs and pads so I ended up by x2 new front calipers.

Had to remove the rattling manifold shield which was looking rather sorry for itself.

Camber bolts fitted and I got my geo done at AK automotive:

0.0 toe rear, Max camber on bolts at front, Think I got -1.5 degrees and 0.05 toe out, I like a car that rotates a little and can be controlled quite easily with my right foot, In theory at least.

AK supplied me with some part worn RSR's for Croft, Great bunch of guys!

Stripped the rear and weighed some stuff:

40% rear seat - 6.8kg
60% rear seat - 11.8kg
Bench - 4.5kg
Parcel shelf - 1.9kg
Cardboard cover - 1.6kg
Boot carpet - 1.5kg
= 28kg excluding spare wheels and tools,

So probably 50kg's stripped out and was instantly noticed on a short blast before Croft the morning after.

Neighbors lovely Cayman.

So a video from a great day at Croft, EP3 performed better than I had hoped and got a 1:46.74 according to Harrys which isn't bad from an essentially stock EP3:

The black fiesta ST was on slicks and a fairly serious machine, The DC5 definitely benefits with those 3-4-5 gears and that LSD over the EP3.

[video=youtube;pl2kQ5ec6FQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl2kQ5ec6FQ[/video]

To be continued! I have since done a Knockhill trackday and have bought a rebuilt gearbox which houses a Wavetrac LSD, Carbon lined synchro's 1-6 & a clutchmasters flywheel :D.

Cheers
Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe that was your mum's car! Looks like she has taken good care of it.

I can't believe that was your mum's car! Looks like she has taken good care of it.

Yeh, She bought it with about 40k on it, over 5 years ago, Got it washed every week and it's her favorite car to date. I was going to use it for a few months and sell it, But enjoy it more than I thought I would have.

Excellent write up! I too have an 06 cosmic so is great to see another on here, especially with the same intentions (track :) )

Thanks guys, Have a few updates since and plans ahead revolve around make it more track worthy!

Horrible knock around front when going over uneven surfaces, Have had it MOT'd and checked over when getting the clutch done and very little was found. I'm hoping my SHG slider will sort that though, Anyone on here fitted a rack slider with the rack in situ?

Back