• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2015 Type R - hard starting issues

This is on my son's car, it takes a good few goes to get it going, when it does start it runs lumpy for a few minutes and then picks up. I took it to the local Honda dealer for a minor service and diagnostic. They reported the it was a faulty plug and replaced them all, I thought this was a bit odd because I only changed them last year.
For a week or so all was fine and now the problem has come back again, he tells me it was a real struggle to get it going this morning.
I'm wondering if there is a fuel problem, is there a fuel filter on these cars and if so where is it? I'm also thinking fuel pump?
Before being serviced the engine management light was flashing, this isn't happening now. It has an aftermarket air filter on it so I will check that tomorrow.

Hi Dave, There is a fuel filter on the 2015 Honda civic type R otherwise referred to the honda civic fk2. It's an internal fuel filter it's code is p2 . It is located under the Central console the plastic part incorporating the armrest and goes over the handbrake. That is taken off and then the filter access is in the floor as it's above the petrol tank. Honda dealership should know how to change the filter. Honda recommends to change it at 72000 miles or 6 years. Regarding the aftermarket air filter and where it is as it doesn't want to be taking in warm air as is no good as cool air is more dense than warm air so you will get better performance from it.The standard air filter is in the plastic box on the right of the engine and is in the optimum place under the bonnet. you will see the large clips on them . In the pipe there is a sensor that measures the airflow coming to the engine and gives info to the engine management of the car . If the aftermarket air filter has been connected and is still supplied by the airpipe with the sensor you should be fine.
lots of people put aftermarket air filters in that look sporty and are repositioned and are taking in warm air and isn't good as the original filters position is positioned so it takes in cool air. With Regard to the spark plugs on these are iridium and Hondas service schedule says to change them every 75000 miles. I would be cautious of the dealerships , as if they inspected the spark plugs and changed them all , if your son's cars mileage is over 75000 then fine. But changing them all if the mileage is less than 75000 miles they've gone well over the top. For this type of car I would say going to Honda is the best thing to do for such things as the fuel filter. But plugs and general service items can be covered by a good local garage as Honda servicing and parts through the dealership are expensive. What I do is ,I first found a good reliable local garage who can fit and will fit parts to your son's car and agree to do so if you get the parts yourself online and you'll save yourself a lot of money. I get my parts from Cox Honda at Morecambe. They're the most competitive that I've come across. If you quote your membership on this forum you will also get 5% discount. Apologies for the long reply but wanted to help you as much as I can. I hope you get things sorted.
Regards Fred.

Hi Dave, following on from my last comment, the 2015 Honda civic type R fk2 is designed to run on 95 Ron petrol which is currently E10. Which has 10% ethanol 90% petrol . I have continued to put in E5 which is 95% petrol and 5% ethanol.
ethanol gives less energy than petrol so that's why I kept with E5 the Ron value is 97 Ron but slightly above 95 Ron but the car should run better as you have more petrol and less ethanol and will get more miles per gallon and better performance. Hope this helps
regards Fred.

Hi Dave, following on from my last comment, the 2015 Honda civic type R fk2 is designed to run on 95 Ron petrol which is currently E10. Which has 10% ethanol 90% petrol . I have continued to put in E5 which is 95% petrol and 5% ethanol.
ethanol gives less energy than petrol so that's why I kept with E5 the Ron value is 97 Ron but slightly above 95 Ron but the car should run better as you have more petrol and less ethanol and will get more miles per gallon and better performance. Hope this helps
regards Fred.
Hi Fred, thanks the in-depth reply.
The K&N air is a straight replacement for the original and fits in the OEM air filter housing. I removed it and gave it a good clean then applied some new oil and refitted.
After replacing the rear brake pads I took it for a drive, wow these things are fast, I hammered it in every gear and it ran perfect. My son drove and reports the end of last week it was playing up again!
I have a new fuel filter, a mate of a mate works at a Honda garage and confirmed that the filter is between the front seats. I’m pretty handy with cars (retired mech engineer) so it’s not a big deal to change myself.
My view is an internal combustion engine needs 3 things to run efficiently, fuel, air and ignition source, since I know the air filter is OK and the spark plugs I have a feeling it’s a clogged fuel filter or faulty pump.
The other issue is he doesn’t drive it hard, he has a few points and doesn’t want to take the risk of getting anymore. They are performance cars and need a bit of a thrash now and againI’ll do that for him.
I’m away at the moment but I’ll change the filter when I get back and report back.
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Glad to be of help. I've never driven a car as fast and it outhandles many other performance cars. That's down to the excellent mechanical limited slip differential on the front and of course the chassis. Up to 2500 rpm the VTEC is on and when reaching 2500 the turbo takes over up to 4500 rpm always gear down to accelerate and there will be no turbo lag. I actually have sold mine in May. Had it for 5 years and totally enjoyed it.I also read and learned a lot about all the aspects of the car and the dos and don'ts of a direct fuel injection car. If there is any thing I can help with, don't hesitate to ask.
Regards Fred.

Back