• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

225 / 40 R18

Been running some Dunlops, Noisy, Some grip when cold, but trails off when hot. Dont offer enough grip to justify the few miles they have lasted.
Been looking at cheap ass Kumhos £200 for 4 or going for something along the lines of Yokos.

Any suggestions?

Which Dunlops? I've got the SportMaxx GT & TT on the FD2 at the moment. The GT's have been great...not quite so sure about the TT's but time will tell.

Nicked off MeganeSport

"Just read a new tyre test using 225-40-18's, so it should be pretty useful to us.
Anyway 10 brands tested
They have given points for dry/wet ,handling/braking/feedback etc
Results in the dry
1/ Pirelli P Zero,
2/ Mich Ps2,
3/Hankook s1 evo,
4/Conti 3
5/Dunlop GT
6/ Goodyear assymetric
7/Bridgestone Re050 A RFT

These tyres were pretty close with only 0.8 sec separating them on the track.

8/ Kuhmo KU19
9/ Toyo T1R
10/ Vredestein US
the toyo and The Sessanta's being about 2 secs a lap slower and also loosing points for braking etc.

In the wet.

1/ Conti 3
2/Hankook S1 evo
3/Goodyear assymetric
4/Pirelli P Zero
5/ Mich Ps2
6/Vredestein US
7/Toyo T1-R
8/Dunlop GT
9/10 Kuhmo and Bridgstones.
The bridgestone do badly in the wet as they're the RFT model,so very hard sidewalls
Differences best to worse.
Dry handling.
Pirelli, 1.04.6 secs to Toyo 1.06.5 secs
Dry braking, Conti 34.2m to Vredestein 37.5m
Wet Handling
Conti, 1.09 secs to Bridgestone 1.16.8 secs
wet braking, Conti 41.9m to Kuhmo 49.6m
Aquaplaning
Mich 89.9kmh to Kuhmo 81.6kmh

Overall Results.
1/ conti 3/ Pirelli P Zero
2/ Hankook S1 evo
3/Mich Ps 2
4/ Goodyear Assymetrics
5/Dunlop GT
6/Vredestein US
7/ Bridgestone RFT ( not really comparable as it's a Run Flat tyre )
8/Toyo T1 R
9/Kuhmo KU19

Between the top 5 there's not much in it really, apart from the price.
The Hankook wins that hands down."

Maybe this is of some use to you! Thanks to Jaybyme.

Camskills do the Hankook at £73.90 for your size or 87.30 for mine (235/40/18)

Seano

It seems that pound collapse and general credit crunch is starting to affect tyre prices and availaibility as companies such as camskills go lean. I was looking to buy at the end of Feb and was torn between the Sessantas and TI1R's in my size (they were within a quid at Camskills). Then the TIR's went up nearly 20 quid and the Sessanta's not much less. I was still going to for the Sessanta's but Camskills now don't appear to even offer them any more.

Guess I will be going for the Hankooks now, but tbh they look a better tyre so I guess I should be happy at being canny even if I wasn't.

They should re-brand the name though.

Seano

Back