• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2nd gear crashing at full beans

Has anybody else come across this problem?
If I make a very fast takeoff and try for 2nd gear occasionally it just grinds and doesnt let me get 2nd gear. Seems only when I try for a fast change and the revs haven't dropped down much. Could it be the synchro going? The car is 18 months old and has done 47k. I have a service in 4 weeks just wondered if I should mention it

60,000 I thought it was 90,000 ? No matter anyway mate it's a lease car so always under warrenty :wink: Will give them a call tomorrow to make them aware thanks mate

Damians said:
60,000 I thought it was 90,000 ? No matter anyway mate it's a lease car so always under warrenty :wink: Will give them a call tomorrow to make them aware thanks mate

Yeah, I think you are right there. :oops:

Cant remember exactly but its worth getting it doing. I had mine done as soon as I heard of the bulletin.

i have exactly the same problem with mine. when trying 1st to 2nd it sometimes misses completely and makes a huge crunching noise. If i'm lucky, it just manages to snick in, with an almost rally-esque crunch which is quite nice actually.

I can't be arsed to get it fixed though- the car goes back to lease company in less than two months,so i'll just have to livewith it.

I sometimes get the feeling that it's clutch related - anyone else feel the same?? (i occasionally get the crunching when upshifting to 5th as well)

The problem is caused by excess drag on 5-6 gearset
which wares out the syncro's of lower gears

the fix involves replacing the 6th gear from a double cone syncro to a single cone syncro hence giveing more space
and no drag

the problem is though that honda uk dont routinley replace the worn out
syncro's when doing the fix

so they just fix the cause but not the actual problem

e.g. you need 2nd gear syncro changed
also most prob 3rd and 4th will be on theyr way out

Yup 4th and 5th are getting problematic now. So took it to Honda on Friday and they are trying to get me a totally new gearbox on warranty :)

Got a phone call yesterday. They have changed the bearings in the gear box as requested by HondaUK. The mechanic is still unhappy with 2nd and 4th so a new Box is on its way from Belgium also I need a new clutch :oops:

I dont have any problems with 2nd but crashing into 5th I do :)

Honda should sort it

Picked her up yesterday and I can't believe I put up with thte old gearbox for so long. It feels like a new car except for the engine isn't tight :lol:

I just bought a Civic Type R and noticed sometimes there is a slight crunch going into second. How can I tell if the car has had the fix done as I'm the second owner? What does this problem involve changing as I have another slight problem, seem to think it is the clutch release bearing.

Also, if it turns out the problem hasn't been fixed by Honda would I still be eligible to have it fixed under their recall? The car was registered in April 05', has 33,000 miles on the clock.

Is this only covered by the 3 year warranty or will Honda still replace it if it's not been covered on the service bulletin?

I think I'm starting to suffer from the early signs of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is caused by excess drag on 5-6 gearset
which wares out the syncro's of lower gears

the fix involves replacing the 6th gear from a double cone syncro to a single cone syncro hence giveing more space
and no drag

the problem is though that honda uk dont routinley replace the worn out
syncro's when doing the fix

so they just fix the cause but not the actual problem

e.g. you need 2nd gear syncro changed
also most prob 3rd and 4th will be on theyr way out

I'm having the wifey's EX's supaguard re-applied at Greenacre Honda Clitheroe this Saturday so I'm going to ask about this service bulletin.

My 04 CTR has only ever seen main dealers in the service book and it seems like this hasn't been rectified on mine. I'll see if I can get it sorted on a 5 year old car. :rolleyes:

Went to the dealers at Clitheroe this morning and spoke to the chief mechanic. The guy said that he has not had to do this on any EP3 but was aware that there is a Honda part to replace the 6th gear with a single cone piece.

He said that as the car is 5 years old, it would not be covered on warranty and it would be 6 hours labour plus parts so about £400 +VAT all in.

So I'm going to leave it until I really can't live with it. The ETD has helped a fair bit so I'll be leaving that on for now.

More worryingly for my future plans though he did say there have been quite a few problems with the FN2s that they have sold with 3rd gear, especially the early ones. It just wont go in after a while (approx 30k). It is covered by warranty but only up to 3 years and it's a new box job. :eek:

Back