• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2nd gear issue

I recently bought a pre face-lift ep3 and it's been fine up until now.
When I'm driving the car it seems to get stuck in second and it takes a bit of a mission to get it out, it goes in to second lovely with no crunches or anything! It's literally just when you come to take it out.

Now it does come out a lot easier at the top end of vtec, but that's hard to achieve around town lol! Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Also when then engine is off it will go in and out of second with no problems :/

Thanks in advance guys

I would say synchro. Had the same issue on mine, I replaced the entire gearbox along with a new clutch

It's weird..... found out that if I stamp on the clutch really hard it seems to come out really easily lol! Also some days it's easier to get out of 2nd than other days.... really don't get it :/

I recently bought a pre face-lift ep3 and it's been fine up until now.
When I'm driving the car it seems to get stuck in second and it takes a bit of a mission to get it out, it goes in to second lovely with no crunches or anything! It's literally just when you come to take it out.

Now it does come out a lot easier at the top end of vtec, but that's hard to achieve around town lol! Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Also when then engine is off it will go in and out of second with no problems :/

Thanks in advance guys

its defenetly the dog teeth on the second gear, as it wears its forms a slight lip , gearbox needs to be striped down and with a small grinder the lip needs to be ground away until smooth, do not cut into the dog teeth to much ,,, do the same with the synchro hub (not the synchro ring) then will be ok for years.. I have done a few so quite an easy fix that only cost time and no new parts needed..
hope this helps

Back