• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 3 Things you'd like to se on the Fk8 Mk2

I would like to see,

1) the plastic mesh bumper corners sorted
2) may be getting old now and a lot would not agree but Auto box option
3) more user wear friendly front seats like the FN2 ones
4) hybrid technology to power the rear wheels and make this 4WD

Now you can all shoot me down

These 3 wishes are not going to be included in any facelift , but my wishes for the next model would be:

1) Please shrink the car. It's too long and wide. Compared to my last 2002 Type R EP3 it's 16 inches longer and 7 inches wider.
2) Make it lighter - goes hand in hand with 1)
3) A bit more power, but more importantly, more and lower RPM torque delivery.

Sadly I doubt 1) & 2) have much chance, but FFS, just how big can a Civic get :-(

If I'm allowed a 4th wish it would be to develop it on Michelin MPS4S tyres rather than the Continentals that wear far too quickly.

1) Warranty friendly tuning items
2) Driving mode flexibility (I.e. Comfort dampers but sport throttle response)
3) Remove the big plastic "vents" back and front
4) Oil temp gauge
5) Brake assist on as default

Although I understand why there's so much discussion regarding the "mesh" sections of the facelift bumpers, I'm surprised how little comment has been made about the grille section (between the headlights). I think it's an improvement there too.

Agreed, I think it bigger to aid with cooling. Lots of yanks on CivixC changing out their grills for an e-bay special for this reason.

On the vents, if they were functional on the rear surely that would create unwanted drag? As someone said not much to vent back there unless you're carrying a ruby in the boot on one of the hooks driving like a granny. I like the non-vents now, would be weird without them

1) Warranty friendly tuning items
2) Driving mode flexibility (I.e. Comfort dampers but sport throttle response)
3) Remove the big plastic "vents" back and front
4) Oil temp gauge
5) Brake assist on as default

All of the above -
+ Less lag in the infotainment screen , though functionality is fine.

An even more hardcore (Type RR or Mugen maybe ) version

I think the Type R ethos is still very clearly present. It’s still track focused, it’s still the lightest in its class, it still handles likes it’s on rails (arguably better than any Type R to date).

Agree- Its the first CIVIC Type R that is unequivocally the best chassis in the class. Always a little short of the very best in the past , usually with a Renaultsport badge on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
lets see if that Trophy Megane takes top spot....

Got my response ready though - Type R best two wheel steering hot hatch...

I know its only degrees we are talking but imagine rear steer failed like a hard over rudder on a plane...! smash.

lets see if that Trophy Megane takes top spot....

Got my response ready though - Type R best two wheel steering hot hatch...

I know its only degrees we are talking but imagine rear steer failed like a hard over rudder on a plane...! smash.

First proper back to back comparisons in CAR and EVO this month. Interesting stuff, won't spoil it for anyone who's going to be buying the mags. Only the "Cup" chassis 280PS Megane being compared at the moment - New Trophy due very soon with another 20PS and some more mods as well no doubt.

As a track car I will be shocked if the Trophy doesn't out perform but as a road car unlikely, we will see just in time for the facelift fk8 to beat it :)

I'm betting once you add recaros, wheels and paint will be a 37k car.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a track car I will be shocked if the Trophy doesn't out perform but as a road car unlikely, we will see just in time for the facelift fk8 to beat it :)

I'm betting once you add recaros, wheels and paint will be a 37k car.

Thing is it's a testament to Renaultsport that the "base" car with supposedly 40hp less than the Civic gets within half a second of the FK8 round Bedford. Add in some stickier tyres, more power and torque and probably the other way round. No question, Honda and Renaultsport absolutely the leaders in this market. Think an RR or Mugen version required

Money, waiting lists etc aside, would anyone do a straight swap with the trophy out of interest?

I am team Honda, FK8 isn't perfect (despite the reviews in my opinion) but boy does it get under your skin..

Our first Honda and Japanese car and the wife and I are absolutely loving "her" FK8.

Although the new Megane Renaultsport wasn't really out 10 weeks ago to look at, I read the tests and it seems a very interesting, decent, good handling car for sure. I would have waited to try one as I think it is a good looking car and a recent trip to France, I had seen a few other there.

The issue I was having was on 3 points. Renault reliability is not great IMHO and that concerned me. Wasn't a big fan of the interior which is why I discarded other cars before buying a Type R. But why ohh why is the Megane RS so messy under the bonnet. It literally looks like someone has installed the engine and then looked at the wiring/plumbing and said, "well that needs to go there, that there, that there and so on". What a mess. When I clean the car and open the bonnet to check levels and to wipe around under the bonnet and wings etc, it needs to be pleasing to the eye and the RS just isn't.;)

Our first Honda and Japanese car and the wife and I are absolutely loving "her" FK8.

Although the new Megane Renaultsport wasn't really out 10 weeks ago to look at, I read the tests and it seems a very interesting, decent, good handling car for sure. I would have waited to try one as I think it is a good looking car and a recent trip to France, I had seen a few other there.

The issue I was having was on 3 points. Renault reliability is not great IMHO and that concerned me. Wasn't a big fan of the interior which is why I discarded other cars before buying a Type R. But why ohh why is the Megane RS so messy under the bonnet. It literally looks like someone has installed the engine and then looked at the wiring/plumbing and said, "well that needs to go there, that there, that there and so on". What a mess. When I clean the car and open the bonnet to check levels and to wipe around under the bonnet and wings etc, it needs to be pleasing to the eye and the RS just isn't.;)

I completely agree - when I saw the first reviews, I thought it must be a prototype and they are going to tidy that all up surely and have a nice cover, but no. Don't get me wrong, seeing a massive slab of plastic isn't great either, but I think a good engine bay really sets a car off and Honda have been the kings of this since Cosworth and erm, Vauxhall with the red tops. I used to go to the Ford Shows a lot, and the amount of money spent on cosmetics under the hood was huge (not always great mind you)....

I had to go look to see what you both were talking about with these Megane R.S. engine bays....... oh yep, it's a shocker.

Renault-Megane-RS-engine.jpg

We've had the FK8 for over a month now, and apart from me smashing in to a low barrier and wrecking the front bumper it's been brilliant.

Only niggles for me are the lack of memory seats (but understandable as they are very comfortable Recaros), the quirky infotainment system (although it works well enough) and the fact the bloody auto stop is enabled each time you start the car.

Fantastic piece of kit. It's the perfect family car with a completely different personality at the flick of a switch.

Well done Honda!

Back