• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

3000 RPM Rattle [Fixed - Driveshaft Heat Shield]

hi all, i got my ep3 today and i am very happy so far but just a couple of things need doing.

i am getting a loud squeeling noise from the front when driving which gets a bit louder on acceleration, im pretty sure its (and sounds like) my front pads as ive looked and i believe theyre very low, but i will get this confirmed in the morning when i go the garage.

also when driving straight my steering wheel isnt level, its slightly to the right, any ideas what that could be? is it worth getting my tracking checked too whilst im there ?

the car has just past its MOT too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brakes shouldn't be squeaking when you're accelerating unless you're also pressing the brake pedal. :lol:

Tracking will sort out the steering wheel.

thanks, also the squeeking noise is there when im not braking too, i dont know if its my eyes but i cant see any pads at all lol, theyre probably down that low its making a constant noise, im off to the garage in the morning

didnt you check these things before you bought it? if the pads are low then yes it will make a squeeling noise that will only get louder as you go faster. As for the steering wheel, maybe your tracking is out, or maybe the previous owner removed it and didnt replace it central. Best taking it to the honda garage i reckon to have it all looked over. What year is it? and milleage?

if your pads are that low, it will be metal on metal, in other words, wrecking your discs! shouldnt have passed MOT like that.

thanks i will get it sorted in the morning, its an 04 plate 59k mileage

i have 3 months warranty from the place i bought it, but id rather just get it fixed myself in the morning IF its just new pads and tracking needed`

to be honest though mate they shouldnt be letting you drive off in a car with no brake pads!! i wouldnt be very happy if it was me. why should you pay out of your own pocket when the car is still under warranty. id go and kick off about it mate. Did you pay much for the car and is it standard?

to be honest though mate they shouldnt be letting you drive off in a car with no brake pads!! i wouldnt be very happy if it was me. why should you pay out of your own pocket when the car is still under warranty. id go and kick off about it mate. Did you pay much for the car and is it standard?

it was £4495 + my golf (£2200) total £6695

it has a k&n typhoon fitted and looks lowered about 30-40mm, and a sony headunit, looks standard otherwise.

think you paid quite abit for it mate, id make the most of the warranty, take it back down there and tell him you want new pads and tracking done for free!

been told my pads are ok it could be my rusty discs as the car has been left outside for a couple of weeks (they are quite rusty)

so im gonna give it a week and if it doesnt clear up ill take it back to the dealer

been told my pads are ok it could be my rusty discs as the car has been left outside for a couple of weeks (they are quite rusty)

so im gonna give it a week and if it doesnt clear up ill take it back to the dealer

Take it out for a good blast on some A and B roads. That will clear the rust off. A good blast will do the whole car good if I'm honest, Type Rs get moody and fidgity if they don't have a good run every now and again.

The pads will have wear indicators in them that shreak when you apply the brakes if they are down to the indicators. This won't score the discs but is a warning to change the pads pronto. Properly worm pads down to the metal will score your discs which will eventually knacker then.

They shouldn't shreak if you've not got the brakes on though. This will only happen if the pads are still in contact with the discs, which could indicate bound calipers. You will tell this if the discs are blazing hot on a short drive if you've not used the brakes much.

the noise can be heard even when not braking, and ive noticed it only starts to rattle/screech after 20mph (ish) on acceleration, if i put the clutch in or brake the noise goes.

do you think it could be a heat shield rattle ?

other than this bugging issue the car is 100%

the noise can be heard even when not braking, and ive noticed it only starts to rattle/screech after 20mph (ish) on acceleration, if i put the clutch in or brake the noise goes.

do you think it could be a heat shield rattle ?

other than this bugging issue the car is 100%

It's not the brakes if it goes away when you put them on bud.

So the noise only happens when the engine is under load? Does it do it if you lift off the throttle and coast?

Is it a rattle or screech?

just been out again and it seems the noise is coming from when im accelerating, i was sat in neutral pressing the gas and the noise can be heard

its like a high pitch whistling/scraping sound, like metal on metal.. hence why i thought it was my brakes

.. and yes the noise is there when coasting too.. but if i press the clutch in it goes completely

heres hoping its just something loose and scraping

Possible clutch release bearing.

This.

Garage you got it from by all rights should sort this out for you under warranty.

It is a labour intensive job though. 3 or 4 hours work as the box will need to come out to get at the clutch.

yeah it sounds like it is then :(

time for a trip back to the dealer , but at least when its fixed ill be a happy guy :lol:

The shreaking will be one of the anti shreak shims on the backs of the pads. It either needs greased or just removed/replaced. I had exactly the same problem when I bought my ep3. Replaced pads anyway but during the process noticed one of the shims was rusted through and basicaly knackered. removed shim = no more squeal.

The shreaking will be one of the anti shreak shims on the backs of the pads. It either needs greased or just removed/replaced. I had exactly the same problem when I bought my ep3. Replaced pads anyway but during the process noticed one of the shims was rusted through and basicaly knackered. removed shim = no more squeal.

was your symptoms similar to what i have above ^ ?

to be honest its sounding more like the clutch issue but i hope im wrong

If the noise goes away when you dip the clutch then it's the clutch release bearing.

Clutch is probably due a change at that mileage too :smt023

Back