• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

400 cell cat experiences/thoughts

Hi All,

I am currently running a Piper cat back exhaust system and I am thinking of replacing my EP3's OEM exhaust manifold and cat in the spring to improve my mid range performance as well as adding a bit more top end too.

This may well have already been covered on another thread which I have just not come across yet (apologies if it has) but I wondered what peoples thoughts are about 400 cel cats? and if anyone has any experience in using one?

What is attracting about them is that Paul at TDI North has said that it would be possible to weld one of these into the exhausts B pipe which would mean that I could still change the manifold to a race header whilst keeping the car MOT friendly which is the reason I have always kept the OEM manifold and cat on until now.

I just wondered if the guys on here who have more knowledge than me see this as being a good option and if these 400 cel cats are as MOT friendly as is suggested? browsing the internet gives me some confidence in it with 200 cel cats also regularly managing to pass the MOT emissions test.

Thanks in advance guys and sorry again if there is already a thread floating around somewhere :)

I like the idea of cut and shutting a sports cat into the b-pipe. I've been scratching my head over manifold options for months, and since I'm running a sportex cheap and cheerful b-pipe I don't mind chopping it up. Anyone have experience on good brands of cats? Also what kind of cell count would you need to happily pass emmisions tests? All my old toys were pre-cat, so I don't know anything about them.

I am having the Tegiwa 400cel cat installed on Tuesday with the Japspeed manifold and Paul (Staffs Deltic) is already running a 400cel cat kit on his FN2, having spoken with Paul at TDI North and a local MOT test station everyone seems to agree that a 400cel cat should comfortably pass the MOT for at least a few years.

Piper do a 200cel cat/manifold kit that doesnt require your B pipe being cut IIRC, however, I have read that 200cel cats and below are a little bit hit and miss when it comes to MOT time although will give you slightly less restriction, Ben's EP3 is running the Piper system and its proved good gains with tuning.

Hope this helps mate...

Excellent, thanks man. I'd heard the same about 200 cell cats; for the sake of a few hp, I'd rather pass comfortably and confidently. I'll keep an eye on your build thread to see how it works out for you. Where are you having the work done?

I really wonder why nobody is making sports cat and b-pipe combos. Much easier to replace before an MOT than a manifold!

Yeah I will keep an up date of how everything goes mate, my next MOT isnt until November but I will probably get the MOT test station to carry out an emissions test in a month or so time just to see what readings its giving out of interest.

I am getting TDI to carry out the work buddy its the only place the civic goes to ;)

Good stuff. I wish TDI was closer to me, from my house it's about a 6 hour drive! I'll probably follow the route you're taking, but I may as well save up and get the whole exhaust, K100, springs and FRSU done at the same time. So maybe end of the summer road trip to Englandshire, TDI seems to be the place to go. THAT will be an entertaining drive home!

Resurrecting an old thread here but this is exactly what I have been considering to be able to have a sports header fitted but keeping a cat to make sure its all legal and MOT friendly. How did you get on with this come MOT time Pete?

Resurrecting an old thread here but this is exactly what I have been considering to be able to have a sports header fitted but keeping a cat to make sure its all legal and MOT friendly. How did you get on with this come MOT time Pete?

Hi mate

in principle the idea works as a 400cel cat should pass an emissions test, unfortunately in reality you will find it difficult to find a manifold/exhaust combination where you can have the cat installed where the two meet.

Due to how the system flows underneath the car I had to have my cat welded in place of the rear silencer and back there it just doesn't get hot enough to work properly and failed the emissions test.

If you can get a set-up where you can mount a cat directly after the manifold then it should work better, but whether this would still be good enough to pass an emissions test is questionable.

Personally I would either go for a full manifold/system set-up or one of the Piper manifolds with their sports cat in line.

:)

I used a sports cat from pipewerx and it passed straight through emissions on the mot. Was £200 custom made :)

I used the dc5 cat with the spoon 4-2 so its road legal. Got 230bhp after map.

Got myself a DC5 mani & cat to stay road legal too, yet to install though. May upgrade to a Spoon 4-2 at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back