• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

430bhp ep3 needing a new clutch?

i have a turboed ep3 running 430bhp at the minute and im looking for advice on a clutch, i dont think i will take my car past 500bhp so im looking for something that would do the trick.i had the act clutch fitted and has only lasted 3k miles. i have been looking at a competition clutch, help on this will be great.

It depends on what stage clutch you have. ACT will make a clutch that will be rated to take your mods, but I'm suspecting you had one fitted that was of a lower spec.

Torque is more important than power when looking at clutches.

How much torque are you running?

I had a Competition Clutches Stage 4 on my car and that is what TDi-North are currently recommending on their turbo setups.

It's a 6 paddle clutch so bite can be a bit juddery and the pressure plate is very stiff so it can be a pain for a daily although by the time I got rid of it, I was getting used to it.

i have a turboed ep3 running 430bhp at the minute and im looking for advice on a clutch, i dont think i will take my car past 500bhp so im looking for something that would do the trick.i had the act clutch fitted and has only lasted 3k miles. i have been looking at a competition clutch, help on this will be great.

hp means nothing to a clutch its torque that matters how much are you running?

I know you've had a bad experience with ACT but to be fair with that torque it was bound to give on a stage 3 at some point.

The paddle clutch with Extreme Pressure plate would see you right though and give you some safety margin.

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalog...+KITS&level3=PERFORMANCE+SPEC&id_product=5810

If you're set on Competition Clutches you are looking at a 4 paddle race clutch.

http://www.competitionclutch.co.uk/...lutch--4-pad-ceramic-2002--2008_p22490947.htm

I've not experienced a 4 paddle clutch but I would imagine it would be quite aggressive at the bite point.

my car is used as a daily but i dont mind it being aggressive, i just want a clutch that is going to last and take whatever i throw at it.

Both of those above should be OK.

The ACT one does recommend their lightened flywheel though, so it might be worth bearing that in mind if you haven't already.

Make sure you get one with a sprung friction disc too, a solid disc would be very harsh.

also whats the difference between the 4 and 6plate?

A 6 paddle should give a smoother engagement. A 4 paddle would give a higher torque rating but that all depends on the pressure plate as well.

It's hard to judge really. Both clutches are going to be epically stiff I would imagine.

You could try looking for some vids on YouTube of anyone with either or try and get a drive of a car with either of them fitted and see if you could live with it.

It's tricky really. Competition Clutches is cheaper, but the ACT will likely drive a bit better, but that is talking blind having not experienced either. The Competition Clutches site does make a thing of it being a "Race" clutch rather than a street/trackday clutch which makes me think it would be savage.

i do think im going to need something savage to handle the power im running or im going to be in the same boat as im in now changing the clutch every couple of thousand miles.i did like how the act clutch was cos it was only a little bit stiffer than standard but it was a little chattery in stop start traffic. i really dont know what to go for cos i dont want to go down the wrong path again

I've not had any problems with my ACT, that's rated to 230ftlb and I'm running 180.

The Competition Clutches Stage 4 was fine as well when I was running boost but it was just overkill when I took the charger off.

Both are good manufacturers so either would get my recommendation, but if you can get away with only needing the 6 paddle clutch like the ACT with the Extreme pressure plate I think I'd favour that.

Back