• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

50mm Springs v Coilovers - Advice

The car in question is a 2005 EP3.

Now I don't want to lower my car too much that it looks stupid and handles like a sack of spuds.

However I see Tenzo R and Skunk2 have lowering springs which offer a 50mm drop, which I seen pictures of and think its perfect for me, without spending alot extra money on expensive coilovers.

Does anyone have any experience with these springs.

Cheers.

Thats the problem these are the only springs people tend to use here.

Was looking a touch lower and wanted to know if anyone had experiences with the above springs.

I have tenzo r springs on my DC5 , it doesnt sit quite right and the ride is crap on them....so i have just purchased a set of eibach sportline springs 30/35mm drop , as a rule of thumb i was always told not to go any lower than 40mm on standard shocks .....

In short.

50mm drop will fcuk your car.

Unless you spend loads on other suspension components and get it set up properly.

Oh and your OEM dampers will probably burst under that load too.

moltenice - How bad are we talking? Something similar to budget coilovers?

Suits - Any experience to people who have had them, so basically buy the time I by upgrades I would be near coilover money?

Absolute max I would lower on springs is the Eibach ABP height which I believe is 30mm (might be 35mm).

moltenice - How bad are we talking? Something similar to budget coilovers?

Suits - Any experience to people who have had them, so basically buy the time I by upgrades I would be near coilover money?

They havent cracked or broken , there just a bit to soft at the rear and firm at the front ,so if you look at the pics of my car in the build thread you see its lower at the rear....i have fitted a good few sets of eibach pro sport and sportline springs , 150 quid then the same again for camber arms or bolts , or 600+ for coilovers....which Iinevitably will burst through pot hole abuse...

I love the lowered look, 50mm suits fine as I have stated.You reckon steer clear of Tenzo then? Because thats the thing about coilovers, if something goes wrong it may be costly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id personaly stay clear of them, coilovers are only really designed for track use where they are not subjected to massive shockloads/height changes....although i think ohlins do a set with special oil valves inside that let them react to our `downtown basra` style of roads...

Have a look at the tanabe/eibach/tein springs...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is on ABP Eibachs - 30mm - low enough?

20120424_161021.jpg

The car has a lovely stance there actually. Are they 18 inch wheels which may fill the gap a bit more.

i have got bc coilovers fitted on my 2002 ep3
very nice smooth ride not to hard or bouncy
plenty of adjustments on them including camber
only thing for me was couldnt go as low as i wanted to on the rear
as they have a different rear set up to other coilovers to keep the ride nice and smooth
stay away from cheap ebay coilovers
had a set and broke one of the front ones after about 2 weeks
you get what you pay for:)
hope this helps

The thing is, if you want the 'stanced' look then you can't achieve that with just springs, you'll need coilovers.

Back