• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

51.08 litres of petrol in a CTR

I recently filled up (at the Crickhowell Shell garage) and put 51.08 litres in the CTR. I know that the tank is supposed to be 50 litres, plus you've got the fuel lines etc., and for several miles prior putting petrol in the light had been on, but what are the chances the pump was dodgy? I didn't exactly fill it to the brim, but for the sake of mu PlusPoints, i always round up to the nearest whole litre. I didn't want to push it to 52 because i was surprised that i even got to 50! I'm convinced i could have gone much further though if i'd tried.

I commented to the cashier in the garage, that it was only a 50 litre tank in the car, and i'd just put over 51 in her, but he didn't seem bothered! I wasn't overly concerned because i don't pay petrol (company car).

So the debate is: 1. is it possible for the car to run that low on peterol ( there was no problem with it Vtec-ing before getting to the forecourt)
2. is the pump guage liekly to be dodgy?
3. am i just a lucky ba$tard that i didn;t break down for lack of petrol!!?

The pump is probably dodgy, the tolerances for fuel pumps isn't as tight as it should be IMO. I complained about a garage to Weights and Measures a few years back as I managed to put 42 litres into a 40 litre tank. They tested the pumps at the garage I compained about and wrote me a letter saying that the pumps were "within tolerences".

Its another way the goverment skin us for more taxes, we dont even get the fuel that we pay for! :x

Back