• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

70mm Throttle Body Options - EP3 K20A2

I will be making a trip to TDi North in June to get my car mapped so I’m just trying to get all the parts sorted in the meantime.
Paul will be supplying the Hondata K Pro and I will be taking with me an RBC inlet manifold including the adapter plate & thermal gaskets etc.

I want to change the throttle body at the same time so I have been looking at various 70mm options but can’t really decide what to go for.
They all seem to vary in price and I don’t want to pay through the roof so I just wanted to know if anybody had fitted a 70mm TB to their EP3/DC5 and which one they decided to buy?

My car already has all the other bolt-on’s taken care of so the final step for me is the K Pro, RBC and 70mm TB

Thanks

Ben,

You'll want to buy a throttle & poly gasket and get them all port matched to 70mm first.

Will be worth 4-5hp additional the other bolt-ons

Paul at TDI said the Skunk2 70mm throttle body is a popular choice but they are quite pricey, for my set up it might be more cost effective to keep the OEM throttle body and just change to a RBC Inlet Manifold.

Is the OEM TB on a EP3 60mm or 63mm?
I think the DC5 TB is 63mm but I always assumed they had a bigger TB as standard

I am considering making the same mod to my ep3.I just keep considering if it's worth the money change because throttle bodies Skunk2 or Spoon are pretty expensive..!

I am considering making the same mod to my ep3.I just keep considering if it's worth the money change because throttle bodies Skunk2 or Spoon are pretty expensive..!

Yeah I have the same concerns really mate, the Skunk2 TB is around £300 and the Spoon (Venturi) TB is around £450 so its difficult to say if they offer value for money, most likely not but its one of those modifications that I will probably eventually get done.

I think in terms of gains your looking at between 4-6 bhp in the mid range which isnt too bad

I think Japspeed do a cheap 70mm throttle. No idea if it's sticky or not though!

OEM is 62mm, Spoon is just an over bored OEM

I think the one Japspeed sell is a s90 model?? And they sell them on eBay for £115 for that kind of money I'm tempted just to try it and sell it on if it's rubbish

I think the one Japspeed sell is a s90 model?? And they sell them on eBay for £115 for that kind of money I'm tempted just to try it and sell it on if it's rubbish

Might be worth a go at that price, although Japspeed are cheap their parts still seem to produce good figures

Haven't tried it yet, but i'm looking to get the 70mm Japspeed TB paired with the 70mm RBC inlet, they are usually good quality for the money Japspeed so worth a shot. If not can always upgrade later to something more expensive .. its the size that matters right ..

They do say buy cheap buy twice, I would pay a bit extra and buy a reputable one, such as, the ones mentioned (Skunk, Spoon).
You know they should be decent so can fit and forget then really.

Back