• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

70mph RPM?

Ped

I've recently made purchase of an EP3 Type R JDM. I know they have a short ratio gear box but when traveling at 70mph in 6th gear its sitting at around 3,750rpm. This seems (and sounds) very high. Can i just confirm this is correct?

I also have a wine i believe is coming from the gear box. Quite worried as i've seen the cost of a new one. I've read its the synchro that goes, But hopefully its just an oil change or something.

^ most petrol engines are at their highest efficiency at around 3000RPM, so a high revver like the k20's is probably more like 3500-4000 RPM I should imagine.

As for the gearbox, a worn syncro wouldn't whine - it'd crunch when selecting that individual gear. A whine is probably mainshaft bearings at a guess? - I'm no gearbox expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ most petrol engines are at their highest efficiency at around 3000RPM, so a high revver like the k20's is probably more like 3500-4000 RPM I should imagine.

As for the gearbox, a worn syncro wouldn't whine - it'd crunch when selecting that individual gear. A whine is probably mainshaft bearings at a guess? - I'm no gearbox expert.

Thanks mate.

sounds good to me mate. a worn syncro would also make gear shifts very difficult and in some cases rattle or chatter until you select the gear with the worn syncro attached.

The gearbox in the CTR are notoriously noisy and probably nothing to worry about, the engine gives out a little whine or a whistle.

is the whining noise worryingly loud and can it be felt as resonance through the chassis?

I don't feel any resistance. Its not too loud. Its just noticeable because of its pitch. But my car does have a loud exhaust.
Im going to be honest i've crunched into 2nd once or twice and i just thought its because not used to the gear stick being pulled in that direction.

pulled in what direction? down :lol:

a crunch now and then happens :), you would 100% know if you have a knackered syncro. every time you change into a specific gear you'll get a snatch of a crunch or it wont go at all.

a whine is more likely to be the gears meshing with old oil contaminated with particles of syncro and gears from normal wear and tear. it wouldn't hurt to change the oil.

i also meant resonance not resistance. do you feel the sound vibrate through the car? :)

Oh sorry ha. You know what i mean about dirrection im used to the gear stick being on the floor near my left knee so you don't pull across your body so much going 1st to 2nd.

Yeah im going to change the oil. I need to find a how to guide though! And am i correct in thinking the run engine oil not gearbox oil?

Resonance none.... Yet lol. But seriously no if you wear hard of hearing you'd know nothing was up...

Oh sorry ha. You know what i mean about dirrection im used to the gear stick being on the floor near my left knee so you don't pull across your body so much going 1st to 2nd.

Yeah im going to change the oil. I need to find a how to guide though! And am i correct in thinking the run engine oil not gearbox oil?

Resonance none.... Yet lol. But seriously no if you wear hard of hearing you'd know nothing was up...

:lol:, the gear stick is a bit higher but that's better :)

get the oil changed it can only do good and is quite easy to diy. there is a how to on here in the how to section just have a search.

good luck with it mate :)

get the oil changed it can only do good and is quite easy to diy. there is a how to on here in the how to section just have a search.

Yeah the gear stick is great and i prefer it just took a little getting used to.

I will get the oil changed. Thanks for you help.

I've recently made purchase of an EP3 Type R JDM. I know they have a short ratio gear box but when traveling at 70mph in 6th gear its sitting at around 3,750rpm. This seems (and sounds) very high. Can i just confirm this is correct?

I also have a wine i believe is coming from the gear box. Quite worried as i've seen the cost of a new one. I've read its the synchro that goes, But hopefully its just an oil change or something.

Around the same for my EUDM EP3 :)

It seems scary at the beginning, feels like a 7th gear is missing but after a while, you understand the K20A/K20A2 is perfectly capable driving under high rpm for 10's thousands of miles.
I'm pretty sure a modern German diesel engine (In my opinion the best there are) has a longer life span (300.000Mile and up) than our japanese power source, still plenty of road to travel before it dies :)

Everybody who sits in my car has the same question within the first 10 secs they enter the car:
"Isn't that annoying, the gearstick being on the dashboard?"

Now, on my previous EP1, I threw the keys to them and told them: "feel free to try it out" ;)
(On my EP3, only people in comparable cars, used to BHP's get to try)

And after 10secs driving it, they all say the same:
"Damn, that's easy, I don't have to search for the gearstick, it's right where it needs to be!"

Everybody who sits in my car has the same question within the first 10 secs they enter the car:
"Isn't that annoying, the gearstick being on the dashboard?"

Now, on my previous EP1, I threw the keys to them and told them: "feel free to try it out" ;)
(On my EP3, only people in comparable cars, used to BHP's get to try)

And after 10secs driving it, they all say the same:
"Damn, that's easy, I don't have to search for the gearstick, it's right where it needs to be!"

it just annoys me now when people get in the car and say "isn't that annoying......" STFU! GTFO of my CTR & FOAD with your annoying questions. your annoying... driving around in your rubbish car with a conventional rubbish gear stick :lol:

7TH gear or an overdrive would be good for long journeys though.

it just annoys me now when people get in the car and say "isn't that annoying......" STFU! GTFO of my CTR & FOAD with your annoying questions. your annoying... driving around in your rubbish car with a conventional rubbish gear stick :lol:

7TH gear or an overdrive would be good for long journeys though.

How many people have been in your car?

A 7the would be great, but would it benefit this peticular engine?
What consumes more? Driving in 6th at 3800rpm, but only 10% throttle
or driving 7th at 2800rpm, at let's say 40% throttle.

Point is, I ran a FULL fuel tank, trying ecodrive, shifting not over 3000RPM, 6th gear @ 35Mph and it used more than driving regulary and same as driving sporty (shifting at around 5000 and using vtec now and then)
This engine is made for driving sporty I think

Lol, loving your gear stick comments. Its very true though.

I think what makes it obvious that its reving high while at 70+ is the exhaust. Its resonated and really humms a pitch when traveling anything over 70 so i sit at 69 to make it as quiet as possible. What are the spoon exhaust like for volume as i may opt for something a little quieter.

A 7the would be great, but would it benefit this peticular engine?
What consumes more? Driving in 6th at 3800rpm, but only 10% throttle
or driving 7th at 2800rpm, at let's say 40% throttle.

The problem with the standard engine is that there is no torque at low revs for a 7th gear but once you've chipped it with good breathing mods, there is quite a jump in torque between 2-3.5k rpm... so it might be possible...

Back