• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

74mm tb on Jrsc? Does it need ported

Thinking of putting a 74mm tb onto my ep3. It currently has the Jrsc.

I have been reading through the forum for a while and can't seem to find anything on this. Do I have to port match the inlet manifold? My aem intake is 67mm would this be a restriction if I upgrade the tb making it kinda pointless?

Cheers for any help.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Forced induction bud. Flow of air in is dictated by the charger and not the engine sucking. It's not going to greatly improve the flow of air in.

But surely it has to draw/suck the air in? I've got a charge cooler on the way from merc racing. Having to use the dc5 inlet manifold which is bigger than the ep3. With the cooler air temps I'm putting the smaller pulley on to up the boost.
I just thought that with the charger spinning faster drawing in more air, a bigger throttle body would be beneficial?

I'm probably wrong lol.

Cheers

even *** its forced induction surley having the ports matched and equal will ease air flow there for making it easier on the whole set up?

The charger is belt driven. It's not going to be able to pull any more boost because of a bigger throttle body.

It might smooth the flow of air into the inlet manifold, but then this gets blown into the block by the charger anyway, so gains would be minimal.

You'd be better thinking of port matching the head to the exhaust manifold and enlarging the bore of the exhaust system if you want to increase efficiency.

Just re-read your post RY4N.

A charge cooler is good because as you've said it lowers the intake temps which is a big thing on a charged car.

High intake temps mean you have to back off the cam angles when tuning the car, meaning you get less power. Lowering the temps means you can be more aggressive with the tuning while still remaining safe, and avoiding detonation.

The charger won't generate any more boost though. There are only two ways you can do that.

You can rev the car higher, but then you risk the internals, head and oil pump cavitation depending how far you go without forging, uprating springs, retainers etc., and swapping out oil pumps. A higher revving engine spins the charger faster.

Or you can change the pulley to a smaller one, which again spins the charger faster.

Both will generate higher intake temps as the charger generates more heat, so it's a trade off against how much boost and how aggressive you can then map the car.

A charge cooler will help when you do spin the charger faster by these two methods, so that's where you are probably coming from, but the cooler on its own won't generate more boost.

It's not just the charger pulley you can change

Changing the crank pulley for a bigger one will create more boost too.

As loxy has said though, more boost, more heat.

Aye there is the crank pulley true. That would spin the rest of the ancillaries faster as well though wouldn't it?

you getting the MercRacing high flow inlet for the JRSC? the size of that would match a new TB

Cosmic I did see this on merc racings website. But I wanted to check if the bigger throttle body would be beneficial first before I ordered it. Think I'll give cpl a call in the new year!

Spoke with cpl. They have suggested that a 70mm skunk2 throttle body with a cpl 3" cold air intake. Also port matching the inlet to 70mm too would be beneficial. By how much is anyone's guess as they never gave an approximate increase. They said it would optimize the set up! What would you guys take from this? Not much power gains but better flow? Don't think it's worth £650 some how! :confused:

Jrsc'd aftercooled ep3

That's CPL for you. Notice they are trying to sell you another intake as well (assuming you already have an aftermarket one with it already being charged?).

Honestly it's going to give you minimal gains. Certainly not £650s worth like you said.

Also be wary of CPL. I'm not saying they'll destroy your car and I'll stop short of slagging them off but they've been known to pull tricks like revving people's cars out to over 9k on the dyno to make a headline figure, then setting the limiter back to a safe level. The customer leaves thinking they have X bhp, but it will never reach that figure again on the map on the car. There are other stories, but like I said, bygones...

If you've used CPL before and are happy with them, fill your boots, but there are better places out there.

That's CPL for you. Notice they are trying to sell you another intake as well (assuming you already have an aftermarket one with it already being charged?).

Honestly it's going to give you minimal gains. Certainly not £650s worth like you said.

Also be wary of CPL. I'm not saying they'll destroy your car and I'll stop short of slagging them off but they've been known to pull tricks like revving people's cars out to over 9k on the dyno to make a headline figure, then setting the limiter back to a safe level. The customer leaves thinking they have X bhp, but it will never reach that figure again on the map on the car. There are other stories, but like I said, bygones...

If you've used CPL before and are happy with them, fill your boots, but there are better places out there.

You know Loxy I'm glad you mentioned this because I have always had a feeling that they are trying to make as much money out of me as possible!
Every time I call them it feels quite awkward on the phone for some reason, they are really good at telling you what they will do to your car but not actually telling you if you know what I mean, leaving you thinking well..." I better give it to them to do this as I have no clue what they are taking about"!! If that makes sense mate lol.
Don't get me wrong I know they need to make money, but I'm not sure they are doing it in a decent "non rip off" way.
I had my supercharger conversion done by them two years ago which is why I call them, I like to stay loyal......BUT.....I'm tempted to try out tdi, as everyone on here seems to use them. Never really here of cpl. I have called tdi on a few occasions and I've always felt so comfortable on the phone, hanging up the phone feeling confident on what we were talking about. I'm no whiz kid at mechanics and tuning but I really do know quite a lot. Sometimes I feel that they think I'm sort of dummy. (Cpl that is!)

Also I'm having to get my car mapped after I install my charge cooler. Cpl have told me they have never done one of these where I know tdi have!
I think I know what your going to say, but what's your thoughts?
Cheers
Jrsc'd aftercooled ep3

Sorry Loxy I do have an aftermarket cai on the car already. But they are saying about bigger bore air intake would suit better. They also priced the skunk2 70mm throttle body at £350, air intake at £220, and they would port match the inlet for a reduced cost of £60. But only if I purchased the throttle body and air intake from them!!

Jrsc'd aftercooled ep3

Mate, as Loxy said... F*CK CPL right off.

Get a guy called Andy Baird up your way to fit it all and then get it to TDi to have it mapped.

CPL are so full of cr4p... Never mapped a car with a chargecooler... Whatever next!!?

How did this go with the TB or are you still looking?

Real world experience Vs theory and all that. ;)

Back