• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

98 RON in 98 UKDM Integra type R

Just a quick (probably stupid question)

Had my teg for a couple of weeks now, got loads to do mechanically (new engine mounts, clutch, possibly new diff, etc) however in the meantime, as it's not bee driven heavily, I have only been putting Shell's standard unleaded in it just to get about. (Nothing other than shell though, no BP, no Total, ONLY shell)

The car is speced under the filler cap to run on 98 RON, and to be honest, you can DEFINITELY feel the difference once the tank has a drop of the good stuff in it (V-power) When i first had it, obviously ran V-power from the word go as told, then for the economy in the mean time until the works done, just wanted something good quality, but cheaper in to get about.

Is there anything wrong with doing this? the only reason i ask (knowing some people notice no difference in economy or performance regardless) is because the difference in how the engine runs is SO noticeable. It doesn't hunt, or struggle on standard,just seems a bit flatter, no grunt and not as punchy (not that it gets revved high on standard anyway). On V-power, its clean, responsive and comes alive, so smooth and even the nackered clutch doesn't seem to struggle quite as much. Obviously, the engine running and power gains are notable, is there anything ACTUALLY wrong with putting standard unleaded in this car? I know it may not be recommended, but my experience with cars is there is "recommended" according to the manufacturer for optimum performance, and then there is "functional" which is fine, just not quite on the mark. If doing this is going to lead to other problems due to whatever the standard map is set to, or could lead to other engine/fuel system problems, I won't be putting standard in anymore.

Has a knock sensor in so shouldn't cause you a problem with pinking or anything.

TBH I've run standard unleaded on my DC2 for ages and all that happens is that you get a lumpier less satisfying ride with it.

Recently gone back to the expensive stuff and enjoying the change - car feels loads better.

Best part of the last year I'd say for 85% of the time I've been using standard unleaded with no ill effects so far. My engine recently had a health check and even though it's approaching 102,000 it's bang on the money.

Never understood people putting standard unleaded in for economy if premium is 5p a litre more @ 50 litres thats a difference of only £2.50 unless your using a full tank a day just seems to me to be a false economy. Just my 2p worth. Happy motoring and I hope you get the car sorted. :)

Never understood people putting standard unleaded in for economy if premium is 5p a litre more @ 50 litres thats a difference of only £2.50 unless your using a full tank a day just seems to me to be a false economy. Just my 2p worth. Happy motoring and I hope you get the car sorted. :)

With me it was mainly because the Morrisons where I fill up only has poverty spec fuel and the fact I'm lazy.

Cheers for all the input guys - Reason for economy is because the clutch is so knackered, i'm going through £40 every 2 days just to get to work, then there's the social trips on top in the evenings, every little helps. Hopefully, that won't be an issue for too much longer - I've got a date for doing Engine mounts, clutch, cam belt and full gear box inspection coming up but can't just stop driving just because i can't guarantee it'll launch off the line :) in fact, it's struggling to get up hills at the moment, as for VTEC.... lol, been about a week since i last saw that, the 7 cars i was driving to a meet with ALL thought it was their cars, it smelt so strong (we were all in convoy *** and this was after a pretty big hill)

As long as its not going to do anything serious or cause any problems, that's cool - i'd prefer to keep on the premium anyway, just for time being

I used sh*t petrol in my old one and it broke.

This one I am only gonna use to good stuff.

Hopefully it won't break.

x

Reason for economy is because the clutch is so knackered, i'm going through £40 every 2 days just to get to work, then there's the social trips on top in the evenings, every little helps.

Won't a clutch pay for itself in no time then? You claim it's for economy but it's just a false economy

Back