• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

A bit of buying advice for me.

Firstly sorry if this is not the right place for this post.

I am in the market for a Honda Civic ep3, would prefer the facelift model and I found this on eBay and was wondering if anyone can take a look at the advert and pics and give me a second opinion on the price etc and how much the dent repairs are likely to be.
It is a long journey for me to view this car which I will be making tomorrow to verify the mechanical side of things (about 90 miles each way) but if you guys in the know recommend to not bother then I will heed that advice.
I did the car checker as I thought it may tell me more about the insurance claim but no joy, all I know is that it was in 2012 and was back on the road Dec 2012.

Any feedback appretiated!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/54-2004-H...SH-12MONTH-MOT-6-MONTH-TAX-VTEC-/181295694260

I'm no expert but it looks too cheap, I would not personally go and look at it, as other cars around that age and milage are dearer.

I'm always very sceptical of really cheap cars (any) as I always think the worst, i.e something wrong with it.

But that just me.

P.s. This post is probably of no help to you.

Thank you, any feedback is appretiated and of help to me.

I was thinking it was cheap due to it being a Cat C and therfor will always be 'branded' in car checkers etc.

I would find a strait one. I would not touch a cat c unless I knew the car. Once a car is repaired they are sometimes never quite right.

Too many people are too scared to touch a cat c. If you do your homework and the previous owner has all the work documented with pictures then why not grab a bargain. Just my opinion.

Could go either way if it has been crahsed even if the damage wasn't severe. I would ask yourself, is it that you want any ep3 becuase thats what you like or do you want to spend a little more time and money and get something thats had a good history. I wouldn't buy a cat C regardless of price becuase likely hood is it will run into other issues too. Worth having a look what else is about and consider preface to save money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't it also increase your insurance cost insuring a cat c?! Or any seriously damaged car?

I have spoken to the seller and he said that it was victim to a paint stripper attack and had the windows smashed. Would this qualify it for cat C? As my undertanding is that it doesn't mean its been crashed its just 'serious damage that can be safely repaired'.. or have I got my wires crossed there?
I am unsure as to if that amount of damage would constitute Cat C or rather a Cat D.... I am trying to think of it from an insurers point of view with the age of the vehicle etc..

The insurance premiums seem to be the same for this vehicle as to other 'clean' civics.

Once again thanks for all feedback guys!

It is usually the case that a CAT D/C would affect insurance but sometimes it does not, in terms of which CAT it has been registered as that is solely down to how severe the damage is in the eyes of the insurance company or how much effort is required to put it right. Im guessing if thats the case the car has has a full respray and all new windows which would cost a substantial amount. That is most likely why it is a CAT C. Hopefully theres no glass insude the doors or down the bottom of the engine!

< My NHB (profile pic) was CAT C write off. You can see why :(

It doesn't matter now as the guy went and sold it even after me arranging to go Sunday and taking out temp insurance and everything... people and their 'word'~! grrr.
Never mind I will take it as an omen and assume it was never meant to be. Will take a little more time and perhaps invest more money into a my buy now.
Quite like the look of the 30th Anniversary ones, are they pre-facelift only?

Question for anyone who wishes to answer... what do YOU think is the best colour?
Also are the Red ones tricky to look after? Fade wise.

Thanks to everyone who gave input and feedback, I appretiate it all very much! Just really want to get myself an EP3 now!

Probably for the best, 30th anniversary are preface only and are rare to get hold of especially for a decent one and there also around the same price usually more than a decent facelift because of exclusivity there will always be a debate on the best colour it's personal preference but the red is probably the hardest to keep looking clean and solid colour

Probably for the best, picked up this one for the same price and with less miles and all optional extras like fog lights and A/C ! Well looked after too :)

Out of curiosity has anyone tried the pre-cut window tint packs you can buy? wondering how easy / hard they are to do without the need to cut sheets to shape.
Or anyone who has there windows tinted, how much did it cost? Just to give me an idea. My boss got his BMW eastate done and it was £150.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its fairly tricky to get it right especially with a sheet of tint as you will need to make sure there are no bubbles in the film and also cut them to shape around the window. Best to get tints done at a shop unless you have a fair bit of patience imo.

Back