• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CH1 A funny thing happened....

I was driving back from work yesterday evening as I usually do on the motorway, it was dark and I had my sidelights on listening to a bit of Michael Buble. I had covered about 15 miles when something dawned on me..... the cars infront of me were moving out of my way, it was like the parting of the waves... erm car version :rolleyes:

Anyway it started irritating me because I wasn't sure why, or even if it was because of or for me, still driving and another moves over and then as I pass he's muttering something at me, now I had to pull over and get to the bottom of it - it turns out that one of my side lights is flashing :shock: [looked kinda cool too :D ]

I purchased these sidelights from ultraleds - the revised versions several months ago with the 5 leds (1 on each side and one on top), after close inspection four led's were not working and the remaining one was flashing. looking at the other side yielded a similar story, a couple or so leds not working leaving about 2 or 3

This is already my second set, now I know some have had their's for years without any problems but they just dont seem to like my car - I think ultraleds have released yet anohter revised version too, not sure if I will be getting anymore now
(if I remember correctly it does however state they should not me any closer than 8cm or so :smt102 )

I had various sets of sidelight LED's. Mostly all crap. Had many problems with the connectors.

Got a set of bright white 'bulbs' that are much better. No sign of yellow light yet they radiate light much better than the LED's.

Buy LED's if you want to use the blue ones and be pulled by the polis!

An answer given to someone on the net who had just been pulled and fined for having a static blue light in his cabin.

I run a private ambulance service and have a fairly good understanding of this act, to the best of my knowledge and belief under the Road Vehicle Lighting Act, it is strictly forbidden to display blue lights anywhere on a vehicle that is not police, ambulance, fire and adapted or constructed for the purpose of those specific roles, The reason you dont find blue light information on the general information is that its a law in its own right, It was im sad to say fully justifiable that the police tugged you and fined you for the offence committed. For a vehicle to display blue lights it must be registered and insured appropriate for emergency use only. It doesnt matter if the light that shows blue is flashing, or constant, any blue illumination emited from a vehicle is an offence. Hope that answers your questions. (added by: TheMedicalTeam)

Have you seen how many HGV's have blue lights on the front just as display lighting? :lol:

not to mention the chaved up sheds with blue lit washer jets :rolleyes:

Ah well there's plenty of those down my neck of the woods

apl.sives said:
I had various sets of sidelight LED's. Mostly all crap. Had many problems with the connectors.

Got a set of bright white 'bulbs' that are much better. No sign of yellow light yet they radiate light much better than the LED's.

Buy LED's if you want to use the blue ones and be pulled by the polis!

Where did you get the bright white's from?

Back