• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

A newbie and his new motor a 2002 EP3 type r

Hi guys how are you all doing? I am new to this forum and to Honda's in general so i am basically a newbie! I Just bought a 2002/3 Honda civic type r17392231_583432865188977_2011247414_n.jpg from a friend of a friend who also has a 550bhp ek9 civic hes build all by himself, Im sure he races Knockhill etc unsure if he uses any forums online. This friend of a friend has rebuilt the engine on my car from bottom to top, done the chain, pulleys, seals etc. After 1k miles the oil is still golden brown and it surprisingly enough has not used any oil what so ever! The car has covered 117k miles and almost has a full service history recent OEM suspension/ timing chain/ clutch few k ago and a fresh years MOT with 1 advisory for the handbrake only. All in all i bought the car for £1700 which is not bad at all is it? has the normal bonnet stone chips and stuff but over all for being 15 years old Id say its in pretty good condition for age and at £1700 with a genuine engine rebuild and a years MOT i could not say no

Here is the car cleaned up after purchase: civic.jpgcivic 2.jpg

I have just purchased some evo 8 enkei alloys which I am in the middle of getting re-sprayed ( by myself) in gloss black with white enkei alloy wheel transfers to be put on. I will be using cellulose alloy wheel grade paint in a spray gun for this.
I am also going to be purchasing some tyres (Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R - 215/45 R17 87W@ £105 a corner posted) for the alloys which i shall be stretch fitting onto the evo 8 enkei's. I shall be putting the tyre size 215/45/17 onto the evo 8 alloys and have already purchased the correct sprigot rings and flat seated mitsibushi evo 8 wheel nuts for the OEM wheels. I am also purchasing some ebiach pro lowering springs giving a 30mm drop all round and I have already purchased a skunk 2 weighted 6 speed gear knob as the old one was faded as hell and a set of team heiko wind deflectors and will also be ordering a skunk 2 3"mega power backbox to replace the dreadful 4" japcan it has on haha! The car came with a full s/s exhaust system with de-cat section and a k&n typhoon induction kit ( open air filter 8/ haha ). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome or if i have made any mistakes please let me know! I would love to get the mugen induction kit and BC coilovers as well as proper JDM wind deflectors in the future also as well as cleaning up the engine bay etc.. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. Why not go for 225/45/17, would look much better on the Enkei's.

Not a bad price you've paid.

Welcome to the forum. Why not go for 225/45/17, would look much better on the Enkei's.

My Evo Enkei's have 215/45 (tyres were on when I bought the wheels) and I don't like the stretch but have waited until I've worn them down, which almost a year on I've finally done so 225/45's will replace those :)

My Evo Enkei's have 215/45 (tyres were on when I bought the wheels) and I don't like the stretch but have waited until I've worn them down, which almost a year on I've finally done so 225/45's will replace those :)

Ahh thanks man! Does stretching them make the tyre fail prematurely? Is your car lowered as i am looking to lower 30mm with springs for now and use the enkeis on the car without getting the arches rolled. My main concern was wrecking the tyres/arches.. thanks a lot.

Thanks for the reply Chris and for taking the time to read my post! My main concern after some rigorous research was rubbing and scuffing, I am aware that the OEM civic wheeels are 205/45/17 and the evo 8 OEM tyres from the enekis are size 235/45/17. I am looking to put the Ebiach pro kit lowering springs which will lower it 30mm all round and my main concern was if using the 225/45/17 tyre size on the eneki evo 8 alloys while lowered 30mm all round would make the car scuff and scrape the tyres/ arches. I really do not want to get the rear arches rolled. I thought stretching the 215/45/17's or even 215/40/17's onto the evo alloys would lower the possibility of scuffing without having to get the rear arches rolled. I have been reading quite a lot and do not have anyone I can ask in person so I am lot gonna lie I am quite confused on this subject haha!

Ahh thanks man! Does stretching them make the tyre fail prematurely? Is your car lowered as i am looking to lower 30mm with springs for now and use the enkeis on the car without getting the arches rolled. My main concern was wrecking the tyres/arches.. thanks a lot.

I just don't like the look of them stretched but I think it stresses the sidewalls more than needed too but don't quote me on that.

If I hit a severe dip at speed they just kiss as it is, will see what it's like with the wider tyres on. I'm at standard height though.

I just don't like the look of them stretched but I think it stresses the sidewalls more than needed too but don't quote me on that.

If I hit a severe dip at speed they just kiss as it is, will see what it's like with the wider tyres on. I'm at standard height though.

Yeah I would prefer to not stretch the tyres onto the rims but I hear quite a lot of people use the 215's on the evo 8 enkei's? I am mainly concerned about scuffing when lowered 30mm as well. I wonder if It would scuff regardless of what tyre size on the alloys when lowered 30mm? I really dont want to buy then try and fail haha :lol:

Hey guys i need some help!! I am looking to get the Evo 8 Enkei alloys on the car ASAP and need some advice from anyone who has used these on an ep3 before. I am using the tyre profile 215/45/17 on the Enkei alloys and i tried the back 2 wheels on today.. there seems to be about a 30-35mm gap between rear arches and the tyre. My main question is how low will i be able to lower the car before it needs the arches rolled. using APB Ebiach springs and i have the choices 30mm,25mm,15mm. I'm thinking maybe the 15mm springs in the back would be the most id get away with but that's just guessing! Help me please Hahaha! Thanks in advance

Back