• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

A3 cams in a K20A

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Thinking of sticking some in my future Teg.

Power mods already fitted are:

Gruppe M
Toda Header
T1R Exhaust
KPro

I believe it's running about 195ish atw now. What increase on that could I expect with A3's?

Also getting Hondata IMG and Spoon Sump done at same time.

Well CTR_Paul has just made 219whp with the N2/A2 cam, i think the A3 on DC5's have made mid 220whp's dude to the extra compression the K20A runs mate

TP's car made 223wbhp with A3's and apart from the compression ratio it's pretty much a K20A engine. So expect IRO 225wbhp...

Edit: Hasnic has said the same sort of thing.... :lol:

CTR_Paul said:
TP's car made 223wbhp with A3's and apart from the compression ratio it's pretty much a K20A engine. So expect IRO 225wbhp...

Edit: Hasnic has said the same sort of thing.... :lol:

Atleast we are both on the right track then Paul :lol: :lol:

Mine made 215 atw at TDI North with OEM cams, so that's a lot of money for ~10bhp tbh. If you've really got it burning a hole in your pocket and nothing better to do with it then fair enough... :?

Evs said:
Mine made 215 atw at TDI North with OEM cams, so that's a lot of money for ~10bhp tbh. If you've really got it burning a hole in your pocket and nothing better to do with it then fair enough... :?

I think it's the extra torque they bring but i agree as with all high end n/a tuning it's alot of money for not massive amounts of power :lol:

Fire_2 said:
rofl havent even got the car yet and ur allrdy going on about cams :roll:

:oops: :lol:

I'll speak to Paul at TDi and see what he thinks when I pay him a visit.

Evs said:

ITR's and CTR's wbhp are tough to compare on the same Rolling Road as you ITR owners have a shorter 4th gear (and 5th and 6th too), enough to make a few wbhp difference I expect (especially when we're talking wbhp figures).

You are right though, I gained ~10wbhp from N2 cams (although with more mapping, cooler weather, newer optimax and properly infalted tyres I think I can see a little bit more). So yeah it's an expensive modification.

£'s vs ponies I believe it's best to stop once you've fitted GruppeM, K-Pro and a good quality full exhaust system. That said, having cams makes the car more driveable, my peak power now arrives at just under 8000rpm rather than on my 8600rpm limiter. So in that respect it should place less wear and tear on the internals, as wear rates on high reving engines increase considerably even with running just an extra 800rpm higher.

So for someone like Chris who doesn't have to spend loads on other parts it's probably a fairly decent route to take. Plus you still get 30mpg+ and there have being, to the best of my knowledge, no cases of exhagerated engine wear unlike the 8&9psi supercharged people in the US.

Overall it's got some plus points and some minus, but like every modification it comes down to individual taste really.

Nick, Paul, I agree with you, my point was that in terms of bang per buck this mod seems to be relatively poor value compared to the 'basics', so it's really into diminishing returns imho.

And it's really not cheap - £1k or so for the parts, 14hrs fitting (IIRC?) plus a full remap.

BTW my car made peak power at 8003rpm and has a load more torque than standard right through the midrange, so I don't need to rag it everywhere to get it to go quickly. Don't get me wrong, I've thought long and hard about cams, but my current feeling is that it's not worth it.

I say all that having not actually seen a dyno graph comparison between a car in my spec (or similar) and one with the cams as well. 10bhp peak on its own doesn't mean anything, but if it made as much difference again in the midrange as well then I might change my mind. And I'd be very surprised if it made that much difference.

Happy to be proved wrong though, just be nice to know exactly what the performace benefits are, which was Chris's original question.

Could always S/C it Chris but I'd imagine you wanna stay pure NA 8)

Back