• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

about to buy

Hi guys,

This is my first post, you got a great forum here.

I'm not a type r owner,yet ! but planning to be.

I have not decided how much I want to spend, all I know I want the previous generation type r ( EP3, specially after the topgear review ;) )

Some question:
- what to check before you buy
- where to buy from: dealer vs honda approved vs private
- how much would you spend on a used car
- what is the best year to buy, or in other words how many year can a type-r survive before falling apart. I had peugeot 206 GTI , it was only 7 years but I had way too many problems, like general suspension worn out, leaking engine, cat converter faults, etc. Hope honda is more durable
- in addition to the common faults thread is there any detailed list what to check before you buy a type-r?
-any advice is very welcomed.

Thanks

• what to check before you buy - Nearly every EP3 (the model you're after) will have been driven hard at one stage or another, but this is what they're designed to do. Some of the K20 engines burn a lot of oil, so check the levels before you buy. Creaking steering racks are becoming more common and are expensive to fix. This will be apparent on a test drive. The CTR has a large turning circle, so alloys could well be kerbed. Most panels should be ok, but check around door seals for rust etc. Gear changes should feel smooth so if they don't, it's likely that the gearbox oil hasn't been changed = no servicing. I would steer clear of any CTR that hasn't been serviced yearly. If you can, buy a CTR which has already got good tyres on it. Non enthusiats will often go for a cheaper tyre but you need to remember that htis is the only part of the car that is in contact with the road.
  • where to buy from: dealer vs honda approved vs private - This is your own personal preference. With dealer, you will probably get a warranty, but with a private sale you will get a cheaper car.
  • how much would you spend on a used car - Look on autotrader or pistonheads websites for what prices the CTR's are going for atm. You can pick up Premiers (final editions) for as little as 8-9k now.
  • what is the best year to buy, or in other words how many year can a type-r survive before falling apart. - The K20 engine is a very reliable one and there are still early EP3 models going strong with well over 100k on the clock. Honda made some improvements to the facelift model (this can all be found on here using the search function and FAQ's) so if you can afford a facelift, go for that (try and get a premier as you will get a bonus uprated interior). If you budget will only warrant a prefacelift, try and source yourself a 30th Anniversay, although these are quite rare.
  • In addition to the common faults thread is there any detailed list what to check before you buy a type-r? - most sections on this forum have sticky threads at the top wihch contain a wealth of info you can use

I'm not able to find out if the EP3 has an on-board computer which displays the actual mpg?

what is the worst and best mpg you can expect? (I'm not a race driver type, but sometimes like to accelerate, max speed 75 MPH )

I saw a video on youtube, but that was an FN2 doing 240 KM/H and 28L/100KM :) of course not in the UK, guess where.

No onboard MPG readout for the EP3, just have to get the calculator out at fill ups. I tend to get around 25-27 MPG on urban driving and maybe 30-32 MPG on motorway driving. I don't boot it too much but also don't make a point of keeping it below 4000 rpm :)

Well ive been keeping an eye on mine on my last few fill ups, and ive got between 260-280 miles before i filled up again, the red light hadn't been on long, and ive heard that there's still a 1/5th of fuel left, when it comes on, and the tank is what 55 Litre's?

Meh truth is im not really that bothered, and you shouldn't be if you want a CTR or have a CTR. If you want good MPG get a diesel.:p

the red light hadn't been on long, and ive heard that there's still a 1/5th of fuel left, when it comes on, and the tank is what 55 Litre's?

IIRC reserve is 12litres, it says in the handbook.

Meh truth is im not really that bothered, and you shouldn't be if you want a CTR or have a CTR. If you want good MPG get a diesel.:p

What a ridiculous statement, just because its a performance car doesn't mean people have unlimited funds to pay for petrol.

IIRC reserve is 12litres, it says in the handbook.

What a ridiculous statement, just because its a performance car doesn't mean people have unlimited funds to pay for petrol.

true, I'm looking for a compromise between performance, economy and practicality. Honda CTR seems to be a pretty good match. 25-30 MPG is totally acceptable. Of coz it's not going to beat a diesel in MPG

If I had unlimited funds I'd buy a TVR or a Ferrari for the weekends and a big SUV for shopping. MPG for these cars is some close to 10 MPG.

Back