• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ABS Engages at low speed

A bit of a novice at this,any help would be appreciated.
I have an 02 plate CTR EP3, since I got it back from the garage my ABS engages when coming to a stop at a junction.

Whilst in the garage I had the N/S/F drive shaft, CV joint and Hub replaced.
This was taken off a 54 plate CTR EP3. I was guaranteed that the replaced parts from the 54 plate were identical to that on a 02 plate.

Am not sure if the problem is to do with the ABS ring, Speed sensor or something else?

Are these parts really identical or could they be the cause of the problem?

Welcome to the forum :D

I take it the tyres are in good condition? Is it everytime you pull up to a stop?

Thank you!,

The tyres are a bit worn, and its very wet at the moment, am due to have them changed this weekend.
Yes,its every time I pull to a stop.

Mine kicks in every now and then, but I know when its going to come on because i'm a little hard on the brakes and I expect it to come on.

Water, Ice, diesel, grit or maybe loose asphalt will be a unstable surface that would cause the ABS to come on.

If you can rule out all of those, then perhps you do have a problem.

TBH I don't think that the later parts you have had fitted on your older plate car would cause any problems, might be a trip to a garage to get it tested.

Can you get ABS adjusted:confused:

Mine always kicks in, but the reason for this is I had a slight off :rolleyes: and the driveshaft rubbed against the wishbone. This caused some of the teeth on the ABS ring to wear, hence the the sensor thinks the wheel is not spinning.

So i'd look at the sensor alignment and also the connect wire, as it sounds like a similar issue

Thanks for that.

I spoke to a guy from Honda yesterday and the first thing he asked me was if I'd had any work done on my cv joints.

He couldn't confirm if there were any changes in the ABS speed sensor or ABS ring between the MK1 and MK2 but said that would be the first place to look.

Tried speaking to Honda (parts department) to find out the part numbers but couldn't get that unless I had the Chasis number for both cars. ( only have my one) aahhhhh :)

Well you cannot buy the rings separate :evil: even though they move on the drivesahft (Honda either didn't know/tell me) and the outer hubs are £172+vat

I will have a look for the isometric I had sent over for you

EDIT :

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,
Just a quick update to the problem:
I changed the front two tyres ( Toyos T1's, very nice!)
The weather has improved, not by much but at least the roads are dry.

...but, I'm still having this ABS problem.

As i draw to a stop, I feel resistence on the break pedal and I hear a springy sound...every time i come up to a junction or a stop.
The ABS light remains OFF although it has come on before for a short while.

What should my next move be?
Shall I take it to Honda and run it through there ABS computer check?
Shall i bite the bullet and replace the ABS Sensor

The garage I had the cvjoint ( + drive shaft) replaced at is denying responsibitity so it's up to me to find out what the problem is and direct it back to them if thier work is to balme.

Thank you for your advice so far :)

As i draw to a stop, I feel resistence on the break pedal and I hear a springy sound...every time i come up to a junction or a stop.
The ABS light remains OFF although it has come on before for a short while.

The ABS light only comes on if there is a fault with the ABS, its not like a traction control light where it'll come on when the system operates. I'd get Honda to look at it.

My ABS light came on yesterday for a short while but has now turned off.
Will a fault still be detected on an ABS system check or does the light need to be on?

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Merry Xmas to all...

My ABS light came on yesterday for a short while but has now turned off.
Will a fault still be detected on an ABS system check or does the light need to be on?

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Merry Xmas to all...

FYI my light comes on every so often and stays on until the engine is turned off. At this time ABS is turned off, so watch out when braking

Check your tyre pressures. If they are over inflated this reduces grip and will cause ABS to activate early.

J

Back