• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ABS sensors, different for different models? EP3.

Hi guys, after my intermittent ABS light scenario, it ended up coming on permanently.
Had it checked by a computer and it was my NSF sensor causing the problem, so got a replacement for it.

I bought a sensor from a 54 plate car, but once I received it, I noticed the plugs were different.
Bit of a paint in the arse really! Why would they change a plug between Facelift and Pre-Facelift?

Also, does it matter if I buy a sensor from a non-TypeR? Surely if it's an EP ABS sensor they should all be the same if its for the same location? (NSF)

So have you two differences here then or are you just thinking of buying a non Type-R sensor?

If it came from an EP2 for example I'm sure it would be different as an EP3 has completely different brakes?

Looking at Lings front left sensor assembly:

pre-facelift EP3 part number is - 57455-S5T-003 = £144.67
facelieft EP3 part number is - 57455-S5T-E01 = £144.67

Personally I would have thought they were interchangeable, but you never know, if they've different plugs, maybe not.

However brakes from a car with smaller discs, pads and different calipers, I'd say they'd definitely have different sensors.

So have you two differences here then or are you just thinking of buying a non Type-R sensor?

If it came from an EP2 for example I'm sure it would be different as an EP3 has completely different brakes?

Looking at Lings front left sensor assembly:

pre-facelift EP3 part number is - 57455-S5T-003 = £144.67
facelieft EP3 part number is - 57455-S5T-E01 = £144.67

Personally I would have thought they were interchangeable, but you never know, if they've different plugs, maybe not.

However brakes from a car with smaller discs, pads and different calipers, I'd say they'd definitely have different sensors.

I'm thinking of buying another sensor but I want to make sure that I buy the right one.
The one I bought was from a Type-R, just a Facelift model, so the plugs are different.
Never would have thought they would have updated a part like this between the models but they obviously did.

I would have thought a sensor from an EP2 would not work also, due to brake sizes and the ECU that the sensors are sending info to.

Can you link me to the ABS sensors on Lings? I couldn't find them for love nor money when I looked on there!

I'm in the same boat but found a fix(sort of). I've a pre-facelift and originally the light would come on every now and then and just got worse over time. I found that in damp weather the light was less likely to come on.
Anyway que my nct(mot eqivalent) and not 2 cents to rub together I got my mech to take out the sensor and see what he could do. We noticed immeadiately that the left front sensor(dodgy one) sat ever so slightly further from the pickup. What had happened was that the slot(on back of hub assy.)for the sensor had corroded so much so that the rust had caused the sensor to lift from its seated position. We filed it down and gave it a good clean and put it all back together. Now its not perfect but in the last week it has only come on once where as previously it would have been a daily affair. I'm not saying this is a good thing to do but if you are stuck it will tie you over until pay day ;) Oh and the car passed its test

Old thread but why would you not just snip the plugs and solder the new one back on? Easy solution!

Old thread but why would you not just snip the plugs and solder the new one back on? Easy solution!

Because some of us like to do things properly, rather than bodge something that will look terrible to a future buyer etc.

Just because you do it yourself, doesn't mean it's a bodge job! If you do it correctly you would never know!
Plus, if you were buying a car, would you get a torch out, jack up the car, and look at the abs wire?.....no you wouldn't!
Obviously if you are not confident in doing this simple job, then you would make a mess of it. For people that have a good (diy) skill set, then go for it. Use proper materials and heat shrink. Job done!!

Just because you do it yourself, doesn't mean it's a bodge job! If you do it correctly you would never know!
Plus, if you were buying a car, would you get a torch out, jack up the car, and look at the abs wire?.....no you wouldn't!
Obviously if you are not confident in doing this simple job, then you would make a mess of it. For people that have a good (diy) skill set, then go for it. Use proper materials and heat shrink. Job done!!

I'm perfectly comfortable with my DIY skills with wiring, I've done plenty for Audio setups etc over the years. But an ABS sensor is a safety item, which in my eyes shouldn't be modified from how it comes out of production.
I'm probably being anal about it, because I work in Product Development at Ford, so I have an inside view on things.

And if I'm buying a car, then yes I do get under there with an inspection light and check stuff out. I don't like to be surprised.

Fair point with it being safety related.
Granted yes a lot of us do look under the car, but you would never notice the wires I wouldn't think!
With the thread being a year old i assume you have replaced it by now anyway lol.

Back