• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AC troubleshooting needed

So I finally decided to get the AC working, I never use the ac so its been lying dormant since purchase a few years back. But I wanted to get it working so I got it refilled and it is pumping out cold air but it is cycling constantly. I can hear the compressor start and stop every few seconds. The air is ice cold but when it cuts out momentarily it is not as cold and then it fires again.
Is it meant to cycle so constantly?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is an 03 reg EP3. I have never utilised the AC so kind of panicked when the guy said it should be constant and not be cutting on/ off so constantly. Any particular reason why it cycles on/ off so rapidly?

Cheers,
A

I've had problems with mine , never checked or noticed cycling but I ha it filled then it was perfect for a week by now it won't cut in. So I think mine must be a leak

I'll have to check for cycling

Mine had a leaking rad with a pipe seized into it. Fixed that, still leaking! Bottom pipe from compressor had a hole corroded into it! Haven't fitted that pipe yet, hopefully soon and I'll be able to see if it cycles in and out.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

If you pop the bonnet you should be able to hear it engaging/ disengaging. I got it refilled at halfords which I now know was a mistake because for an additional 20 odd pounds I could have had it done at either formula1 centre or nrp auto centre and they check the system thoroughly I think. If you have a formula1 auto centre or a local garage that does AC refill then worth the 40-60 pounds to get it fully checked.
Would hate to have the engine go Kaput or any other serious damage which will be an expensive fix.

See this just convinces me more and more to now have the full system check done, i.e. just pay the damn refill fee again but to someone who thoroughly checks the system. Afterall I have not been using the AC at all for the last few years. Do keep us posted, would be interested to hear the outcome.

Thanks,
A

do they do the check for free, They fill it and if it leaks they don't charge you.

mine lasted a week/two at most so must be a leak somewhere

Theres no need to re-gas with R134a if there is a leak , if the system has a leak it wont pass the vac test so the machine wont re gas the system
What some garages do is if it fails the vac test they will regas it useing uv die & run the AC system & check for leaks using a uv light/sniffer & goggles

Forgot to add on the above post
The correct prosedure if the system fails its vac test is to
pressure tested with oxygen free nitrogen and all leaks repaired before re-gassing.but not all ac machines will detect a small leak

Last edited by a moderator:
here is what the local garage is offering:

[h=3]Air Conditioning Service - £39.99[/h] The air conditioning service includes the following:

• System inspection (service ports, belt tension, corrosion, pipe work, obstructions.)
  • Pre-service air conditioning system performance check.
  • Ultra Violet Dye Additive - This service involves the use of a special UV dye injected into the system during the Recharge procedure. This is the most reliable way of determining a leak within your air conditioning, and alleviates the need for paying excessive labour charges to fault find the system and find any potential leak.
  • Recover any refrigerant present to waste or recycling cylinders.
  • Deep vacuum system and Re-charge using correct amount of refrigerant.
  • Add correct grade and amount of compressor oil.
  • Final performance check.
  • Attach service sticker.
  • Advice on use and future preventative measures for leaks.
If I go an in say my AC is not working as it should then it is £38 /hour - fault finding!!!! might aswell have the service eyy..

Do let me know how it goes, F1 was going to be 1st choice but they are usually pretty busy and appointments are few days out. I'd await your update, in the meantime if I do get re-checked/ regassed I will update the thread.
It will however be good to know from EP3 users who are using the AC if they have cycling issues etc.. Surely quite few use their AC's, or like me - buy an AC model and never use it :( (I see no point in wasting the fuel on AC ;) )

I get the procedure but what would you suggest, like you said not all machines detect a small leak. Trying few different autocentres will be expensive!

Thanks,
A

Forgot to add on the above post
The correct prosedure if the system fails its vac test is to
pressure tested with oxygen free nitrogen and all leaks repaired before re-gassing.but not all ac machines will detect a small leak

Most vehicles can use up to 25% of the gas per year , after all the ac system does require an annual service just as the engine does but people think , stuff the ac it doesnt stop my engine running , but then when we have a few sunny days they wonder why its not working,
Ac isnt only used to keep us cool in the summer months but is also used to aid the de-misting prosess in the wet & frozen months
For the sake of £38 id go for the AC service , 9 times out of 10 its the AC condensor that is at fault & as previously mentioned the lower ac pipe mostly always snaps in the condensor & cost approx £48 from the Dealer
HTH

Yes the AC compressor will cut in approx every 20 seconds on the ep3
Back in 2001/2 when honda 1st brought out the ep3 , AC was an optional extra , we use to have fit the full ac systems , FRT time was (if i remember correctly ) around 7hrs , they were a total nightmare to fit , believe me :evil:

See I am not 1 to ignore it but I genuinely never have utilised the AC on any of my CTR's, So this is the 1st time I am actually thinking about using it so I want to get it right and keep at it once up and running.
I was thinking the service would be the best option, even though I paid £40 pounds today @halfords, shall not be using them in the future- absolutely zero checks, I wish I had known. I am thinking my local garage seem to be giving the most comprehensive service so might avail that.
Also read that over filled gas can also cause compressor cycling issue, and to be fair the can & gauge utilised by halfords is not the most high - tec so won't put it past that it may just be over filled or so I hope. Instead of an expensive fix. Although a previous comment read quick compressor cycling is common on EP3's - if that is true I should be ok.
After the refill the air coming out is ice cold and it runs fine just want to be sure about this compressor engaging/ disengaging with alarming regularity.

See mine is doing so every 5 odd seconds and not 20. I will recheck it tomorrow again and time it. Because I have not used the system in nearly coming onto 3 years do you think it may just need to be run a little.

Thanks,
A

Yes the ac cycling is normal mate
Just for the record the amount of R134a for the ep3 is 490g so any F-Gas trained person should know how the gauges work on their machine (pressure wise etc)
Don't always go for the cheapest bargain you see advertised as they may just re-gas it , it works you pay by by
Try to find a reputable garage that has good rating & someone who knows what they're on about

I wouldnt of thought so , , every 5 seconds is not right , it will probbably eather be the pressure switch or as you have already stated too much gas,

Back