• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AC troubleshooting needed

Ok, so been a while but I finally took the car to NRP autocentre for the AC service on 24th June (£39.99). The condenser was damaged and had a leak, looked very minor leak but got told that would empty the system within a month. Took the car for fitting the condenser 27th June and they found that a pipe had corroded and needs replacing and they have had to source that from Honda so I now have no car for day n half, they won't charge extra labour if I leave the car with them but if I get it back then they have to put it back and take everything out again so extra charges would then apply. I asked them a few times if everything else was in order as they had to wait till monday for the condensor to be delivered, I understand certain things can't be foretold till they get into the system but seriously sometimes mechanics don't explain things :( Can someone tell me if the car is put on a ramp and inspected from underneath they should be able to see the pipes etc? I am just wondering if they could have done a more thorough check to avoid such scenario!! In any case the cost for parts and labour was £163.88 fitted (condensor) + £67.39 (pipe) added on now. I am now hoping that the car is ready tomorrow and that this AC redo is worth it! Does make long journeys comfortable though - or that is what I am telling myself :p
I will post an update once I get the car :cool:

Mine had a leaking rad with a pipe seized into it. Fixed that, still leaking! Bottom pipe from compressor had a hole corroded into it! Haven't fitted that pipe yet, hopefully soon and I'll be able to see if it cycles in and out.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

You replaced the corroded pipe, any update?

Hi mate, yeah I changed that pipe eventually. It had corroded where the p clip was held to secure it. Finally working ac. Did you still need to know about the pump?

Just read your post above, sounds exactly the same as mine, although once I replaced what they have I found a separate pipe leaking as well. You can't see much at all when it's all together on the car, and while pressure testing it doesn't always show a minor leak if there is a major one. What they've said sounds fair as that's exactly what happened to mine!

Yes how is pump cycle fairing, I couldn't hear mine cutting in/ out after the regas at nrp. I used the AC all the way to bluewaters so good 70-80 mile roundtrip. Plus no mention of anything else being wrong and now they do have the ac components removed for the condensor so fingers crossed. Price wise were you in the same ball park?

Plus I saw on the forum someone adding a mesh on the bumper to protect the condensor, I genuinely liked the idea and was considering it. It sits behind so is not noticeable the only concern I had was if it is cable tied then it may rattle about and scratch the bumper.

Take front bumper off and use mastic or simlar to bond the mesh to the back of it , let it set then refit bumper
Its a bad design as the AC condensor gets all the hammer of the road

I got some Ali mesh from eBay for about a tenner I think. I just cable tied it round the little support legs I think, or drilled into the plastic webbing on the back of the bumper. I paid about the same for the pipe. Condenser I got cheap online, about 80 quid with a receiver drier. And did the work myself.

I should have done the mesh, the condensor is not very placed at all agreed! Had to drive on a road regulalry which the council kindly scrapped the top surface and left it so all the bits kept flying all over the place and eventually all the traffic had displaced it.
My car will be as new soon with all the new shiny bits :) had the mid section and cat replaced as it needed those, calipers have all been replaced bar 1 i think. pollen filter & air filter, steel braided rpb hel hoses from tegiwa. Brake oil changed, gearbox oil changed, oil dropped every 6-7k and fuel filter replaced. Now the condensor and pipe should be done by tomorrow. Oh, all this by the mechanic - yay labour cost :( + purchase costs from tegiwa and opie oils. I am spoiling the old girl!;)

Just an update, the car is back from the garage after 2 days because they had to source a pipe from honda and it took a day :( anyways the ac is now back to optimum and a shiny new condensor upfront. Just paranoid about something flying in and smashing it again :( £234+39.99 = 273.99 oh and the 40 pounds wasted at halfords for a refill.Got them to do a check for in cabin temp and they said their machine only went to 0degrees otherwise it is bloody cooler then that! No more compressor noise cutting in and out either, I think they just over filled the gas at halfords.

Happy days. I'd get some of that mesh stuff for what it takes and just stick it on, every little helps!

Back