• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Acceleration/power problem

I have been trying to sort a hesitation problem usually after i change gear the car puts down rather than picks up,also the idle is at about 780 rpm but seems a little rough as if it keeps missing all the time.Tried ecu reset and idle relearn but still the same
No DTC codes stored according to scanner
2004 model 30,000 miles.
Tried cleaning out the idle control valve,put everything back but may have created another problem as now the
Car seems to be running flat,seems like i have to work the car all the time just to keep up when driving around town.
Putting my foot down in 1st, 2nd,3rd gear very flat and then after a delay i can actually start to feel the car pulling but only a little bit at a time.The engine sounds to be straining.
Top end seems ok and Vtec kicking in ok when you eventually get there as the car seems sluggish.
Also noticed when slowing down the car surges usually just as i am about to touch the brake pedal and more noticeable when cold.
Any help,comments appreciated.

I reckon you have a contaminated/blocked fuel filter mate :mad:

:smt023 I think not enough fuel is getting to the engine causing the symptoms you have listed. ( Its the same when your car has just about run out of petrol).

Cheers for the replies guys,any idea how much a fuel filter costs at the dealers,found someone on ebay selling them for around £33 with the delivery,does this sound about right?
Forgot to mention also had like a knocking whine noise coming from around the engine a few months back which could be heard from inside the car at idle.Passing Honda garage,walked in and asked one of the mechanics to take a quick look,he said he had never heard this sound before but traced the sound to the front of the engine and said it sounded like it was coming from the injectors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuel filter is located inside the fuel tank, Get a garage to look at it for you.

Why do i need to get underneath the car? According to the manual, access,removal of fuel filter and disconnection of the fuel lines is from under the back seat:confused:

Priced a fuel filter today at the dealers and the guy working in the parts/service department said he would have to order one in as they never sell hardly any as the filter on the car is not really to be removed as it is supposed to last the lifetime of the car:eek:

interesting as i've had similar problems, especially in terms of the engine speeding up as i'm about to brake, but took it to honda a few weeks back and they found nothing wrong with it. its due a service soon so i'm hopin they may spot something there.

*UPDATE* Looking bad,after checking fuel filter and everything looking ok i decided to book the car into the honda dealers and they found a misfire on cylinders 1 & 3 which was not picked up on my scan reader nor did it set off the dash MIL.
Plugs,coils,injectors and valve clearances all perfect now needs further investigation and cylinder head removed,likely cause according to honda is bent valves.:(
Only had the car 5 months,the car has a 12 month independant warranty but this has a limit of £1000,worried this will not be enough especially at the rate honda charge

honda might come good on the engine warrenty, but im no expert on the limitations

Back