• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Accord type r EGR valve problem?? Need expert help??

Hi. I have a ATR 1999 in pirates black. I had engine management light come on . Read the code = p0401 = EGr insufficient flow detected. I was told to replace the EGR valve with a new one. But me being me i went and looked it up in further detail. After a bit of research on the net i decided not to change it but to clear the carbon buildup in the egr ports. On weekend i opened the metal part up which took about an hour and saw the metal plate all blocked up with carbon. I thus cleaned it using carb cleaner and also cleaned the egr valve. I made sure all the blocked air holes were clear. I was really happy with the job. after putting everything back together i disconnected the battery and then reseted ecu and reconnected. i fired the car up, warmed it up and then took it for a blast. Whilst driving i could hear a low ticking sound which was not there before. I opened the bonnet and the sound seems to be coming from the EGR valve which is suprising. I used carb to clean it but it was not too bad. The ports needed doing big time. Does anyone have any idea what the sound could be due to?? ECU light not back on yet so no code to read. need to wait afew more days. Also Another thing is that i used the same EGR gasket. Will this be a problem?? Any help would be appreciated as the Valve is £260 from dealers. What a rip off.

SafeRedirect.aspx

hi mate

The egr vale and plate is quite a common thing on the ATR. I did mine a while ago with carb cleaner and a wire brush and it come up a treat. There's a good thread on it on the atr.org.uk site (currently down). From the sound of things you cleaned the plate as well as the valve. I'd be tempted to strip back down and make sure everything is ok as it's quite a quick job and go from there.

The gaskets are fine to re-use as long as you didn't damage it. Could this be what the problem is? :confused:

Thanks for getting back to me. The EGR valve itself was not cleaned much just a bit with the carb cleaner. The metal plate about 25 cm long was cleaned out thoroughly as it was full of carbon deposits blocking the airholes. The ticking sound occuring when the engine is reved pretty quick is coming from the EGR valve itself. What do you think this ticking sound is? Do you have a copy of the post from the thread on how to clean the EGR valve?? Also mate how did you clean the valve as there is a rectangular shaped hole and then a circle that is solid.

The rectangle allows exhaust gasses in and the circle that you are referring to is a pin like device that lifts out slightly under pressure to allow gasses to exit (a bit like a pressure cooker) - thats my understanding anyway

The rectangle allows exhaust gasses in and the circle that you are referring to is a pin like device that lifts out slightly under pressure to allow gasses to exit (a bit like a pressure cooker) - thats my understanding anyway

So how do i clean the3 valve then mate?

Get yourself a small (craft work like) screwdriver and use that to remove any thick carbon that you can get to including around the little nozzle, verify you can slightly (stress slightly!) lift the nozzle - it will be spring loaded so should pop back to its original position

Also use an old toothbrush to clean the inside with carb cleaner - that should do it, again be careful with the gasket

Hope it solves the problem :smt023

top man. What i'll do is give it a go tomorrow and let you know the outcome. Hope the ATR forum wiill be back on very soon.

My gasket on the egr valve looked damaged which may have been letting air into the car causing the slight ticking sound. I have ordered it and will be fitting it tomorrow.

does anyone know how tight the nuts should be on the egr port plate that goes on top of the manifold. I have done them very tight???:confused:

Not sure of exact torque figures but they should not be done too tight in fear of snapping the bolts (they're not the strongest), but if it's not seriously too tight I would just leave it

I have just replaced the egr gasket and put the egr valve back on. The nioise is no longer there. :D :D

If you look closely at the egr gasket it is made of small metal dots that are covered with aluminium. If part of the aluminium is missing then the dots cause a minute air gap allowing the engine to suck air in causing the small ticking sound.

:| However the MIL is on which i have cleared
before by taking the battery cable off but i would prefer it if someone could tell me what fuse needs to be taken out. I have already tried the hazard and stop fuse for about a minute with no luck. Thanks for all the help.

:| However the MIL is on which i have cleared
before by taking the battery cable off but i would prefer it if someone could tell me what fuse needs to be taken out. I have already tried the hazard and stop fuse for about a minute with no luck. Thanks for all the help.

Found it.:rolleyes: It was fuse 13 on the passengers side under the glove compartment. Its called clock, backup

Fixed my problem

Thanks for this thread, my light came on for no apparent reason on the way to get my ATR MOT'd! Passed the emissions test well within spec' so I figured there wasnt really a problem. Removed fuse 13 as discussed, replaced, problem solved!

Thanks for this thread, my light came on for no apparent reason on the way to get my ATR MOT'd! Passed the emissions test well within spec' so I figured there wasnt really a problem. Removed fuse 13 as discussed, replaced, problem solved!

There will be a reson why it came on so just getting rid of the light is not really sorting the problem ;)

Back