• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Adapting a Tarox 10-pot brake kit to the CTR

Right I've been offered a Tarox 10 pot kit removed from an Astra Coupe Turbo.

The discs are 5x110 PCD and the calipers fit behind a 17" wheel with an offset of ET49 (quite tucked in)

I'd therefore assume they'd stand a good chance of fitting an EP3 with OEM rims? I'd be happy to fit a spacer.

I'm confident in redrilling the discs and making an alloy adapter for the caliper itself.

PCD is 5x114.3 yes

Drilling the bell shouldn't be an issue.

Should fit. Let us know how you get on

Improving your front kit that much is fine but what about rears?

I presume most of the work will be in creating a hub to caliper bracket to support the 10 pot. Make it strong!!!

Ok I'm going to have a go mocking it up in MDF to see if it all fits, then if so do it in alloy

I'll leave the rears standard as they barely contribute anything to braking. Plenty of modified CTRs have stock rear brakes. And yes it'll be billet alloy of probably 10 or 12mm thickness.

You will prob need to alter the brake bais as you may end up INCREASING the braking distance due to the heavy weight distribution on the front brakes therefore the rears may come up and be less effective. I have expereiced this when I upgraded to six pot Endless calipers , back end was all over the shop under heavy braking and was deffo more unstable and abs would kick in and ruin everything. That was one of the reasons I switched back to Stoptech 4 pots. ( that and Endless pads were very expensive )

Brake balance sheet , See here :

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ias-and-performance-why-brake-balance-matters

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips guys

I'm at a loss as to what to do really. I need "more" brakes, something suitable for prolonged track use. I reckon a front upgrade is on the cards by the sounds of it.

Thanks for the tips guys

I'm at a loss as to what to do really. I need "more" brakes, something suitable for prolonged track use. I reckon a front upgrade is on the cards by the sounds of it.

Personally I would selll your Tarox and get the Stoptech BBK.
I've been using them on track for the last 2 years ( approx 14 trackdays ) and they have taken the abuse no problem.
They are a very balanced solution.

Was out at Donington park for 45 min endurance and they held up very well , no faluts at all. As good on the last lap as they were on the first lap. Just got to remember if doing long sprints that you need a cool down lap or 2 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. Why the cool down laps?

Just the cool down lap to lower the temps of the brake pads and discs etc so there will be less likely to have pickup on discs and also should stop them smoking or sticking etc when you come in.

The last thing you want to do is stand on the brakes then come into the pits and you could potentally set fire to the brakes as they will be really hot. ( I've seen small brake fires and smoking of brakes before by people who did not do a cool down lap and have been hard on it. )

Cheers.

Interesting article you linked to by the way. That's partly why I'm happy with the Tarox as they are very small pistons, compared to most aftermarket kits.

They clear the OEM wheels nicely too
20131213_131632_zps119f9238.jpg

20131213_131830_zps1339b2ed.jpg

And OEM fitment braided lines fit too, without mods
20131213_141750_zpsc3657bd8.jpg

Looks promising.

I'll have to sit down and do some calculations

Back