• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Advice needed on clutch + flywheel upgrade

My clutch has been slipping, well to be more specific, it doesn't go into gear easily when cold. When I start the car cold, clutch fully down and trying to go into first and the car slightly moves forward as I attempt to put it in first gear although it doesn't go.

When the car is off, gears are slinky smooth.

Anyway I was looking for a clutch and found an Exedy clutch kit for £115.

My next question was if it is worth considering upgrading the flywheel on my preface lift ep3. I believe it currently weighs 6.5 kg as opposed to alternative upgrades flywheel weighing 3.5-4.5kg costing around £150-200.

Car is currently on 117,000 mileage OEM. Clutch and flywheel. I plan to keep the car for another 12-24months possibly adding another 25-30,000 of mileage.

The rest of the car is completely standard.

Please advice what you would do in this situation?

Thank you

Link to flywheel:

http://areamotorsport.co.uk/area-shop/fidanza-flywheel-3-6kg-lightweight-ep3-civic-type-r/

budumanu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it's the clutch as it could be synchros need replacing? When was the gearbox oil changed? I think my synchros need replacing and would get uprated clutch and flywheel at the same time seeming the gearbox is out, maybe even LSD.

But it goes into gear no problem when the engine is off which means it the clutch having issues engaging and disengaging I believe.

Hopefully it is not the synchros.
Gearbox oil was replaced by honda tmf around 6-8 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: I replaced the clutch with another original without changing the flywheel. Everything was fine transmition wise. What I did find annoying after fitting the new clutch was that it was a little bit of a pain to drive when cold. The gears jam a little(synchros like you said), especially 1st and 2nd. But after around 15-20mins it's slinky smooth and I can up shift or downshift without any hesitation.

Any idea how much it costs to replace synchros? Cost of part and labour? I wouldn't mind replacing my first and second synchros depending on cost.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back