• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Advice needed please - Honda Accord

Hi,
I have been left responsible for sorting outa car that belongs to work. It was a rep mobile and has only really done motorway miles.
Chassis is on 178000
The engine was replaced by a garage of the reps choice when the engine went.
The company paid an invoice of £2500 for the work & parts.
This rep then left the company and now we have the car back in a right state..

The invoices are pretty useless..
Labour description:
remove and replace second hand engine (no mention of engine condition or mileage)
remove and replace alternator and aux belt
Parts description:
engine
injector washers
oil oil filter
aux belt
alternator

Now I knew something was up because the car stank of fuel when driving to out local garage for a check up.

Results back from local garage:

Airbag module not connected or faulty cable fitted i.e. no airbag!
2 x front tyres bald and cupped from being driven with low pressure (stupid rep)
1 x Front ball joint needs replacing (wear and tear)
1 x track rod end insecure with no locking nut (dodgy garage not securing)
2 x front brake discs (wear and tear)
2 x front brake pads (wear and tear)
Front bumper not secured back in place (dodgy garage not securing)
Exhaust manifold leaking at engine (most likely gasket fitted incorrectly and not renewed at time of engine replacement)
ABS/VSA module failure – showing 3 x faults
Also a list of missing clips and bolts from the engine replacment..

Now the car should be worth around 2grand maybe a touch more in good condition

2.2 Accord I-DTEC ES GT EXECUTIVE MODEL - Sat Nav - Heated leather etc

What should be my next decision?

1. Strip and sell parts?
2. Sell as bit of project?
3. Repair and sell on?

Bearing in mind how much money has already been sunk into this, not sure whether its worth spending more when the cost are likely to be £800 - £2000 to put right. Only to sell with an engine with unknown mileage.

Help and advice appreciated, im at a lost end.
Thanks

17/09/2014 it was done

I need to figure out how to get the most ££ back

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief! That's unbelievable. Was he driving it like that?!

I'm with Rambo; don't put any money into it. Frankly I'd want that out of my hands asap. Judging by that list of faults it's never been cared for and the garage that carried out the work were completely incompetent, so I wouldn't trust the car now as far as I could throw it. I think that if you were to sell it, it should be as spares or repair with an honest advert, it would be downright irresponsible to sell it any other way. Stripping it would probably get the most money, but it would be far more hassle than it's worth.

In your shoes, I'd want to start by getting some legal advice. The car is clearly not roadworthy and the company paid a lot of money.

Apparently he didn't notice any different.. clueless! All he said when he returned it was 'theres an error light on the dash' Two VSA lights, two airbag lights, there no access to odometer etc because the lights are perminant and he didn't see that as being an issue?!

I would have no intention of selling it as anything other than what it is.

Fancy a third Honda Jimbo?

Back