• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Advice needed with new car purchase please

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and i don't want to upset anyone with the following thread if any of the cars are owned by anyone here i am just asking advice.

Now i have been looking for a type r in red now for about 2-3 weeks and i have seen 3 for sale that i like the look of but want opinions on them from more knowledged people given my lack of it when talking type R's.

1. This is the first one and to look at the nicest:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...ier-edition-a-c-k100-spoon-tegiwa/5420360?v=b

Now i have been chatting with the owner on text for a few days finding out more details and he has had the car 4 months and selling because he changes cars a lot.
I done a routine MOT online check and the MOT has ran out but he is going to it this week, the tyre mentioned in the advert was brought up as an advisory 12 months ago and still needs changing but he is going to do it.
Tax wise it ran out in November and from the .GOV site i can't see it has been renewed.
Had door and panel sprayed since NOV after the car was keyed and stone chipped.
Should i be worried that the car has never been taxed and that a tyre advisory was bought up 12K miles ago and not changed yet?
It has been advertised with 12 months MOT but it ran out last week and will be done this week, i have got a best offer from the seller that he would take of 4600 is this about right.

2. Second car on eBay and trade seller:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-54-H...801946?hash=item1a0fc645da:g:S1MAAOSwxp9W4~LL

Saw this one and wondered if the price was a bit high given it is a year older but maybe that is just dealer premiums.
I have sent a message asking if the 75K mile service had been done with valve clearances and timing chain etc and still waiting to hear back about it.
Does anyone know this car at all?

3. 3rd car seen for sale today, bit of a long drive but could be worth it given the money spent on the recent services etc.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-red-low-miles-for-age-mot---2004/5475985?v=b

This looks like a steal at this price and could it be too cheap, i haven't seen any pictures of the lacquer damage but i could get that looked at by a friend who owns a body shop so i could take into account this when buying it because it is so cheap.

If anyone has thoughts on this lot or advice i am all ears and if anyone owns these car i am just asking around and not trying to annoy anyone.

Adam

Car 1. If he cant look after the car properly in ways of tyres, MOT and even tax, i question how well the car has been looked after. I would walk away.

Car 2. Seems better although overpriced and cant read any of the info about it. (for that money i would want a premier edition) Unless he will drop to £4200ish
Depends how bad you want a red one?

Car 3. A few little niggles here and there, I would wonder why the chain was swapped at 90k just before selling though. Did the last one stretch, jump a tooth? Worth a view and look through
Paperwork

Last edited by a moderator:
With ep3 type-r's its a buyers market so if in doubt just walk away, I recently payed £3300 for a 54 plate 1 lady owner nhb one with fsh and no mods on 90k miles if that helps.... and always ALWAYS do a hpi check as a lot are crashed or stolen !!

Dont pay over the odds, i had to wait a little while for the right one to pop up when buying my second one.

GTbloke you did get a ridiculously good deal though :lol:

Adam if you are open to other colours you really do have a lot more choice

The way prices have gone with EP3's recently I would try to avoid spending close to 5k on one. Depends what your using it for though I guess!

I looked at 4 others before buying mine and the proof is in the pudding its the best one out of the 3 I have owned, I have seen them up at 8k.... no way would I pay that for an ep3 unless it was supercharged and mint !!!

good examples can still be had if you look carefully and avoid modified shitters, if you must have a modded one then buy one off here as you know it will have been loved.

Dont pay over the odds, i had to wait a little while for the right one to pop up when buying my second one.

GTbloke you did get a ridiculously good deal though :lol:

Adam if you are open to other colours you really do have a lot more choice

Thanks mate... just went in with my size 10's plus it helped owning ep's before you just know what to look for :) just shows there are still some good ones about.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, i have been sent further pics of the cheaper one and it has some of the lacquer peeling away in a few places and maybe more than i want to spend time on sorting out.

Upgrades wise i am happy for exhaust and filter upgrade, this will be a daily so nothing to tuned for me.

The red ones i have looked at do worry me as they are not looking bright red anymore, my pulsar went pinkish over time and i hated it so my next choice of colour is the dark grey finish like gun mental colour.

1st one looks alright. But chances are it won't look nothing like the pictures when you go to view it. I'd get him to stick an MOT on it and source your own tyres as the buyer will probably just put on some nasty budgets
2nd is over priced. From a dealer to it's to be expected.
3rd sounds mechanically good. But body work needs some attention.
Personally I'd wait for a better example to come along. I fancied a red one years back but 9/10 they're faded and look shoddy. Silver or grey is a safer bet for paint condition.

Welcome to the site

My only advice would be is to remember that IF you plan on heavily modifying it, it's far far cheaper to buy one with a lot of mods already done. Eg my EP3 was around £8k, but to buy a £3k car and mod to the same spec would have cost many, many times more.

They are generally quite tough cars/engines, so don't get too caught up in the details and history. If it drives well and runs well, chances are it's fine.

While I partly agree with partyvan on the other hand I think your better off buying a clean standard ctr and putting your own stamp on it.... I have nothing against buying modded cars especially when they have been cared for but come on most of them have had the life thrashed out of them... most modded ep3's you see for sale are rogered !!!

If your heart is set on a pre modded one then buy one off the civic forums... NOT gumtree or the likes... most selling on there have been run on a budget and are more than likely knackered.

Or be sensible and buy a clean standard ep3 and make it your own... they are plenty quick enough as they are but yes a few mods do make them fly ;)

As others have said take your time there are plenty out of them out there and no i am not selling mine...lol

While I partly agree with partyvan on the other hand I think your better off buying a clean standard ctr and putting your own stamp on it.... I have nothing against buying modded cars especially when they have been cared for but come on most of them have had the life thrashed out of them... most modded ep3's you see for sale are rogered !!!

If your heart is set on a pre modded one then buy one off the civic forums... NOT gumtree or the likes... most selling on there have been run on a budget and are more than likely knackered.

Or be sensible and buy a clean standard ep3 and make it your own... they are plenty quick enough as they are but yes a few mods do make them fly ;)

Looking around I'm thinking now about a standard one and then do my own changes to it. i won't rush i will just keep looking around

I viewed 10 before I got mine loads have been ragged and moded try and find a standard one thts not bought of some young lad my personal opinion mine was off a chap who had it from new took me 8mounth to fine one but when I did I was glad I waited

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Looking around I'm thinking now about a standard one and then do my own changes to it. i won't rush i will just keep looking around

Did you find one in the end mate ?? standard is the best way as you know its not been arsed like a modded one has especially if its a lady owned one ;)

Back