• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Advice on an exhaust system??

Hi guys,

Just bought my first Type-R last friday, its a Civic EP3 2005!

I have been reading through all your posts this week looking for some help on what exhaust system to put on the car...:confused:

I'm torn between the Spoon N1 cat back system, the Buddy Club Spec 3 system and finally a full Supersprint system.

There doesnt seem to be a lot of talk about the supersprint system but my friend has one on his and I think it sounds immense!

Any help or opinions on the 3 would be helpful... :D

Cheers

I think all of the exhaust systems that you mention are super loud, if that’s what you’re after then it’s all good but I have a Spoon system and trust me it really does boom and you can’t get it to shut up when you have had enough!!

todas arent horrendously loud, and are known for their performance. Even though i admit mine looks a bit like diesel exhaust:lol:

I spent ages researching exhausts and came to the conclusion that no exhaust is perfect.

The ones you mentioned are all pretty loud and boomy.

In the end I decided on the Spec IV as it,

a) Looks Great, don't go on pics as it's really nice in the flesh
b) Sounds AMAZING (and its not over loud or boomy like a boy racer)
c) Build quality
d) Value for money. It doesn't cost the earth (but not cheap if you know what I mean)

It does (like all exhaust) have it's problems. The Spec IV hangs low in the middle so beware if your car is lowered and don't go fast over speed bumps or you'll catch it. The other problem is that the tail section is joined on with springs which can rattle. You can throw them away and use some of that wrap to bond it together or use some wire (TDI North did it for me) to wrap around the springs to stop the rattle. Most aren't too bothered with it.

If you want a proper Japanese exhaust with a nice tight rasp then definately look at a Spec IV

I wouldn't count build quality, I had Pro Specs and Spec 4's all fall apart and Buddyclub exhausts don't really have the best reputation for lasting.

iirc you shouldnt engage vtec with the bung in use :confused:

All lies. I have a Spoon cat back system and I also have a bung and I've used it with and without through the full range of revs with no problems.

All the Bung does is narrow the diameter of the exit hole, reducing the boom you would get. Why would Honda specific tuning companies such as J's racing and Spoon sports desing kit that is not safe to use on Honda's!?!

You may need the bung for some track Db regulations. What would be the point on taking it on track in this instance?

With a toda system, header/manifold and cat back what sort of volume are we looking at as with the toda there is no option to stuf a bung in there and if its too loud for track then I will have to re-think my plans!!

With a toda system, header/manifold and cat back what sort of volume are we looking at as with the toda there is no option to stuf a bung in there and if its too loud for track then I will have to re-think my plans!!

youtube is your friend here.

failing that, put it this way the toda isnt fantastically loud on its own, in full chat it can get a bit lairy, but when fitting a manifold you are removing a cat (99% of the time) so its gonna be boom city.

youtube is your friend here.

failing that, put it this way the toda isnt fantastically loud on its own, in full chat it can get a bit lairy, but when fitting a manifold you are removing a cat (99% of the time) so its gonna be boom city.

I kno it wil be alot louder with the manifold, thats why i had to sell the spoon system.

I jus wondered if anyone would know what sort of db's its goin to be.

All lies. I have a Spoon cat back system and I also have a bung and I've used it with and without through the full range of revs with no problems.

All the Bung does is narrow the diameter of the exit hole, reducing the boom you would get. Why would Honda specific tuning companies such as J's racing and Spoon sports desing kit that is not safe to use on Honda's!?!

You may need the bung for some track Db regulations. What would be the point on taking it on track in this instance?

only going of what quite a few people have said in the past.

only going of what quite a few people have said in the past.

I've heard all that tosh too. Unless they have proof to back their argument I would not believe a word.

Nothing more than than heresay and badly applied science with limited knowledge.

I kno it wil be alot louder with the manifold, thats why i had to sell the spoon system.

I jus wondered if anyone would know what sort of db's its goin to be.

my apologies, exact dbs i couldnt help you with, the only way i can describe it as - less than spoon based mani to b and less than bc mani to b.

Id go as far as saying the drone isnt as bad as when i had a decat and hks on as well:)

I paired a Spec IV with a DC Sports manifold and that wasn't at all boomy. Yes it was louder but because the IV is quite raspy it was just right and sounded :twisted: I really miss that car :(

Back