• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Advice please, which petrol to use

Ok never really considered this....had the car for three weeks and been using morrisons/tesco standard petrol. It honestly didn't cross my mind that this could be wrong. The car is an early 08 FN2 which is about to have flashpro added and possibly some kind of induction at some point. I obviously want value (mpg), power and the engine looked after. So any thoughts/advice would be most helpful. If standard 95 is fine then i'll carry on but it looks as if most go for V power, BP Ultimate or tesco 99....

I have searched the forums and i'm still not clear...UPDATE there is only ONE Shell garage in Cardiff so thats a no no, there are however quite a few BP garages !

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I use V-power in mine but might switch to BP Ultimate as the garage is closer :lol:

As far as I'm aware normal 95 is fine, IIRC some notice improved mpg though with V-power and BP Ultimate.

That's as far as my knowledge goes though mate :eek: ;)

Scott.

I've switched back onto shell fuel save recently to help bring running costs down alittle. I still every now and again do 2 or 3 tanks of vpower for the cleaning additives in vpower but i haven't noticed any difference in the car

As long as it's super unleaded (minimum of 97 Ron) it shouldn't make a difference too much. But you know that already from the other petrol thread ;).

Standard FN2, though as i've said, fitting Flashpro Friday/Sat setting to Group N (?) and then at some point maybe an induction.
It's interesting, a few responses on the CTRO site suggest normal 95RON is fine unless the car has been set up differently? Not sure if adding Flashpro counts for anything.....Probably averaging around 200-250 miles per week so i guess £6/7 extra for better fuel is no problem, as long as there are benefits, otherwise it's money down the pan,,,,

I've gone back to V-power after a tank of Tesco Momentum. I only managed 28mpg on the Tesco stuff, already got 32 on the usual route into work on the V-power which is more like usual.

I don't think my map liked Momentum, the engine seems noisier on tick over and it didn't seem to pull as well over 6,000 rpm. Looks like I'm stuck on the expensive stuff...

I didn't get any Momentum in the end: I left early on Sunday morning before Tesco opened so I went to a Shell garage nearby instead and got another tank of V-Power. 25.3 average on the 200 mile return journey. :)

Does your car have in-drive refuelling capability for extended range to the county border?

I tried most fuels out there but always go back to V Power.

Makes me feel better.

Besides, my car is an import S2000 running a AEM EMS so its mapped to run in higher octane fuel.

I use Momentum. Only because my nearest shell is about 40 mile round trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use momentum if im really low on petrol and need to stop off on the way home from work, but i mostly use v power because its the cheapest around here. BP ultimate charges 136.9 near mine :smt103

Back