• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

S2000 & NSX Advice please?

Hello everyone,

I'm hating the fact that after months of browsing the forums, my first post is going to be one asking advice!

But here goes...

I bought my S2000 a few months ago, and noticed it was using a lot of oil. (Typical S, I hear you thinking...nothing to worry about.) Except, it has gone in for a service at 76,000 today and good old Honda have telephoned me saying that the pistons are carbonated, there is unburnt fuel in the engine, it needs new valve stem seals and basically they are recommending an engine rebuild, to the tune of £1600 + the price of a head skim if needed!

The car was sold with a 6 month 5 star warranty, but the claim value is only £350.
The dealer I bought the car from is suggesting some kind of additive, as the car still drives well, and other than the oil spilling from the exhaust, and the annoying top up every week, you would never know that it had any problems. He thinks Honda are recommending the most expensive option to cover themselves before trying a more economical route. I have only done around 3000 miles in it, but in that time, used 4 litres of oil and goodness knows how much fuel.

I live in south Devon and was wondering if anyone could recommend an independent garage that will give me honest advice before I shell out for a rebuild.

Many thanks in advance

Deej

Got to love the motor trade.

Have you had the car less than 3 months?

If so then the dealer is legally obliged to fix the car. And that includes anything. Warranty is nice but only good after the 90 day legal obligation.

Take it back. And don't take No for an answer. Trading Standards will help out if needs be too.

Google it for more details.

Got to love the motor trade.

Have you had the car less than 3 months?

If so then the dealer is legally obliged to fix the car. And that includes anything. Warranty is nice but only good after the 90 day legal obligation.

Take it back. And don't take No for an answer. Trading Standards will help out if needs be too.

Google it for more details.

True, comes under the Sale of Goods Act and the car being fit for purpose. Main benefit of buying from a dealer.

Thanks guys...I'm absolutely gutted. Whoever heard of an S2000 needing a rebuild? Someone must have really abused that poor car :(

I wouldn't say that the oil usage is high, my stroker kit uses more than that, and as for carbon on the pistons, thats no surprise.But yeah it is covered by 'is it fit for purpose?' argument.

Honda say around 1 litre per 1000 miles for their high performance engines. It sounds to me as if the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. As is mentioned above, push for a rebuild under the sale of goods act. If they don't go for it then don't have it rebuilt and just top up the oil as and when required or sell.

Thanks to those of you that replied. Just to update...I have now written to the dealer asking for a repair after I got a second opinion. He's got a few days to reply so fingers crossed!

What a shame...I now have to drive my OH's DC5 every day. ;)

Back