• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Aftermarket Headunit Removal!

Hey peeps, trying to remove my JVC headunit to fit my new Alpine one.

What a ballache so far, got the gear stick panel off alright and unscrewed the 2 screws. Apparantly now you just wriggle the mounting bracket off, this isn't coming off no matter how hard I try!

And those 2 8mm bolts.....I have the 8mm spanner, but cannot get a grip on them anyway.

Can anyone help as I'd like to do this today without punching my windscreen in, thanks!

Can you upload a pic as to what you have removed so far and i'll try and talk you through the next bit. i've had mine off loads of times so should be able to help

Also have you looked to see if the cage for the current head unit has been bolted in or is just attached using the bendable clips? if this is the case you can just unbend them and remove the cage and fit the one for you new head unit and voila your done

I've removed the bottom panel with the cigarette lighter connection and gear gaitor and the 2 screws holding the metal bracket but thats about it. its just the 2 8mm bolts I'm having problems with, looks like the previous owner has rounded the heads on the posidrive slots too!

Helpful of them. What I would suggest before doing any more if you haven't already is to see if the head unit can be removed from the front (you might need release keys) this way you can just swap the cages over and fit the new unit without having to remove the surround. Most after market stereos fit this way so it's only if the previous owner was anal about security the would have bolted it from the side behind it.

Just been out and managed to undo the bolts, brute force with the screwdriver :D

Managed to get the top part off, looks like the owner was anal as the whole thing is actually bolted in.

I would have used the release keys but unfortunately these weren't supplied. Gonna go try fit the new one now, fingers crossed!

Cheers fo the help dude, will keep ya updated!

Cool, all i'd say is jus fit the cage sucrely so then you can change it easier in future. Anything else jus holla lol

Right, another problem. What is this cable, I'm guessing power?

DSC00777.jpg

and where does it fit in my cd player?

DSC00778.jpg

Thanking you!

from what I can see could go into the black cable you have dangling down in the left of the pic or the will be a hole on the right hand side but you might need an adapter hence the other pic needed

It's the one on the left mate but you will need an adapter for it, The have to different styles of connecter yours and a short round disc with a pin in and ithat wire fits the secont type of connector. If it did not come with one in the box halfrauds stock them, will try and get a pick of what it should look like.

What make is the new head unit?

Yeah it's the Alpine IDA-X305.

If it's just the aerial adaptor I need, should the cd player just work, just with no radio?

Everything will work fine bar the radio and if you fit the stereo so it can come out using the keys it will be simple to fit later or cable tie that black cable and the aerial somewhere accesible and connect them up later. The lead you need looks like this

7af0_1.jpg

Plug off car goes in the left and right goes onto new head unit

Right so I've put the top dash panel back in and plugged everything in but the bugger won't power on! I don't get it, surely the power cables are all in with the block connections?

Have you got one of these?

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-pc2684-honda-accord-accord-civic-wiring-harness-p-9178.html

This adaptor is required to replace factory fitted radio with an aftermarket headunit (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, JVC etc.). It will convert the car original power and speakers wiring connector to a standard ISO connector. Simply plug one end of the adaptor into your cars wiring harness, and the other end into your new radio, without the need of tools or cutting of wires.

If so, it should work.

Yeah I have one of them, thats basically all I could connect up.

There were some coloured hanging wires though, think 3 of them were for steering remote, not sure on the others though, red, yellow and a few others.

Just went for a drive and seems my indicators aren't working either, somethings up....

Have you re fitted you hazar switch cos if not that will stop your indicators working. Post a pic o all your wires and I'll see what I can suggest

That would be why my hazards aren't working, I left the bottom panel off last night. I'll go grab a pic...

Back