• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Aftermarket oil cooler needed for track?

Anyone know?

Mine has an aftermarket cooler and I'm not happy with how it's fitted. Thinking of deleting it.

It's 270bhp n/a and is going to get a lot of grief on the track. Is it needed?

Has it got gauges to monitor the temps? It is something that is recommended but not essential if you are expecting prolonged sessions but it all depends on the setup and how hot it runs. Even so, cooler oil has got to be better hasn't it?

Would rather have one than not. Especially if you're driving it hard or tracking it. I have one, but also use a thermostatic plate, retaining the standard oil cooler so it gets up to temperature as standard and only opens when needed.

I've got some gauges fitted the other day, I'll get them plumbed in asap and monitor the temps!

Cheers guys.

What make? Relocate it? Tbh I'd plug in sensors and monitor things. Then next track day remove cooler and blank off lines and monitor temps etc. Of no significant difference then leave it off.

If you're just doing 10 - 15 min outtings then back in to cool down, no real need imo. A baffled sump or even a dry sump would be more important than a cooler imo.

Pretty sure it's mocal.

The lines run from the filter area, up past the exhaust manifold (separated by some random foam!?), over the cam cover and down to the front bumper apeture. It looks rough as **** and can't be the best way to route them.

Any advice on a better routing? Tightly under the sump? I imagine they could be P-clipped snugly.

I've seen one on a. EP3 actually with a filter relocation kit. Filter was moved up to were brake fluid resevoir is. Cooler in bottom of bumper in front of radiator. Braided lines from cooler clipped to chassis leg and up to filter.

Mine run between the manifold and the block. Over the top of the gearbox and into the front panel. Heat shield fitted into the lines by the manifold, oil lines cable tied along the wiring harness. It's pretty neat and tidy. Haven't got the best pictures to show it though.
Welded studding to the lower front panel so I could mount it at both ends.
732dc35e7ee0a3fb45bbd75874322032.jpg

Oil lines before I put heat shield sleeve over
201a865dbff0f68acc3a188e1ca492f6.jpg

With heat shield sleeve on. Looks like it's touching the manifold but it's a good 4 inches away from both manifold, block and drive shaft
7a41003f3811ce0d4d0bfecf362c61f1.jpg

Also as it runs up through the rear engine mount I wrapped it in an old coolant hose to prevent rubbing and chafing.

Cheers Lewis I'm liking that!! Might copy that or the chassis leg route above!

That's one for the winter!

Back