• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Aggressive/Enthusiastic Driving in the Type R.

Scousefella

Mental for Oriental
Lads and lasses, following the Essex/Kent meet today http://type-r-owners.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51 I have come to the conclusion that my confidence behind the wheel is very low. :cry:

As many of you know, I had an accident in my CTR a while back (lost it on a bend) and since then I have never attempted any Enthusiastic driving until today.

Having had a quick chat with Paul he explained how he had an accident some years ago and has only recently become more confident after visiting the 'Ring. 8)

As I am not currently in a position to visit the 'Ring what advice would you give to enable me to "Shed my Demons" behind the wheel? :D

Track day?

Or more meets ... they just kinda make you drive ermmm enthusiastically :p (well I find they do)

I have confidence behind the wheel, but I know full well that I'm not the best driver when it comes to pushing the car :(

I'm going to goto the MAC trackday in October and I hope this well teach be how to push harder and safer. This might help you build confidence as well.

Scousefella said:
Lads and lasses, following the Essex/Kent meet today http://type-r-owners.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51 I have come to the conclusion that my confidence behind the wheel is very low. :cry:

As many of you know, I had an accident in my CTR a while back (lost it on a bend) and since then I have never attempted any Enthusiastic driving until today.

Having had a quick chat with Paul he explained how he had an accident some years ago and has only recently become more confident after visiting the 'Ring. 8)

As I am not currently in a position to visit the 'Ring what advice would you give to enable me to "Shed my Demons" behind the wheel? :D

Do your Mac course you Numpty. Discuss your misgivings with him and I am sure he will sort you out :wink: Just take a day off and book it you know you want to :)

yeah a track day would probably be the best way to get rid of them quick.I'm going on a nice little track day in a week today at aintree.It isn't too busy either so you don't have much pressure of people trying to get past all the time.I went the ring back in july and it was quite busy on one of the days and i found it quite scary due to the speed cars was coming past me. :shock:

Black R said:
Instruction by someone who knows what they are doing, IE MAC course or similar
you can get a instructor included on the day if you want for no extra charge at aintree track day might be worth a look.

Find a disused airfield mate. Ask for permission from whoever owns it. Then see what you can do :lol: 8)

I had a big confidence knock in my CTR mate, allbeit only on my second ever test-drive outing, without having bought the car at that stage! :lol: :oops:

I lost the back end, big time, in a scary, sliding, sphincter-clenchingly out of control newbie stylee on a semi wet road, by lifting off and over steering to correct the slide. :roll: :oops: How wrong?! I was very lucky not to roll it down a small cliff into a gravel car park... Was still shaking when I took it back! :lol:

It took a while to re-build my confidence tbh, but I still bought the car and took my time building up cornering speed till I was happy again. 8)

As other have suggested a Mac day or track session will certainly help get you back to normal! 8)

I would say a UK track day if you are really not up to going to the ring ( really not at all THAT expensive ifyou take a short stay ferry/tunnel ticket (3 day or less))

Going onto the ring has taught me a helluva alot about how my car handles/feels in the corners and you can then evaluate how close you are to that when you are on the road....

try and get to the ring if possible though - 20KM of pure bliss and bends....

Mac track day lots of flat run off area with nothing to hit, plus an instructor on hand to guide you, and a free lunch, only £125, failing that wait until November and I will take you out for a spin :lol:

I recently bought a good book called
Track Day Driver's Guide
By Art Markus
ISBN 1-899870-59-8
Basically it covers
cockpit preparation
personal preparation
speed with safety
circuit etiquette
tyre care and performance
steering and braking techniques
brake care and cooling
how to deal with traffic
choosing the right line
suspension developments
vehicle dynamics
keeping it smooth
riding the kerbs
handling the wet
finding the limit
developing your skills.
I got it of E bay last week for a £10. it looks good.
After I have read up on this a few times I am going to book one of the MAC track days as a starter then progress from there.
Driving is like fighting there is always somebody better than you. At the ring I got overtaken with some $hit cars which I should have whooped their A$$ but also I took a M3 somebody's CTR lots of powerful bikes etc.
I have asked the Mrs for this as a xmas pressie http://www.driverskills.com/drive_your_own.htm

Have a look in the back of EVO Magazine Carl. There's lots of driver training companies in there. Cadence is one off the top of my head. I personally would book another MAC Day assuming you've already used yours.

Then book yourself onto the MAC Trackday in October, where Dave Bertie will be on hand to teach you and regain your confidence. Dave is probably the best instructor I have ever come across, and I have had racing drivers coach me before :wink: Dave explains the car behaviour and mechanics of fast driving to help you understand what the car is doing.

On an open track, you can push the car to the limlits in a safe environment. Yesturday I learnt the art of controlling the rear end drifting with the use of the throttle. :lol:

I would like to be able to heel and toe, so thats my next goal. :wink:

Cheers for all of the tips - looks like i have a few ideas on how to deal with the situation. :D

Large Airfield sounds good, as does the MAC track day. 8)

A spin out like that is bound to affect your confidence Scouse. I think though that you need to ask yourself why you lost it on that bend. Were you simply going too quick? - there's a point at which centrifugal force is going to chuck you out of your line whatever you do if you're going too fast.

Other possibilities are a bad entrance line, or any one of several bad decisions after you entered the bend - braking, lifting off, erratic steering inputs or combinations of those faults.

If you can think it through and know what you did wrong, then you can address the problem, but if not then you really would benefit from someone in the passenger seat who knows what to look for.

Props to you though for not being tempted to go quicker than you feel able - that way lies madness. 8-[

CT said:
A spin out like that is bound to affect your confidence Scouse. I think though that you need to ask yourself why you lost it on that bend. Were you simply going too quick? - there's a point at which centrifugal force is going to chuck you out of your line whatever you do if you're going too fast.

-[

That's the key, was it something you can correct or one of those things?

Also I've noticed the CTR on Pots (not sure about other tyres) can be a bit skittish when 1 or 2 wheels are on the white lines, so on a bend this can happen and possibly cause the car to misbehave a little more than you expect

Again, some quality input guys. 8)

I expect to be starting a new job soon and with it will come an improvement in income. :D

Just been out to Tesco and picked up a copy of EVO (ta Bazzer :wink: ) and will check out the ads for tuition. :smt003

Back