• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Aggressive/Enthusiastic Driving in the Type R.

Mate I have a spare MAC day thingy if you want it PM me if your interested and I will post it to you

MAC day or an advanced driving test

the advanced driving test will also lower your insurance (well should do)

Then I would go get some tuition on a track as many others have said, this will be well worth it, and will allow you to push the car a bit harder than normal in relative safety.

I would also get the car checked over and maybe have the fast road set up done to it, and have all the geometry checked over.

At the end of the day as I was saying to friendly the other day I do like driving fast but do not have mega confidence in my tyres Fedrals at the moment (soon changing them)

It is just a confidence thing trust me

evilowl said:
HASNIC said:
Suggestions of the a atrip to the ring is THE most ridiculous thing i've heard.

Why dude? Have you never driven a road for the first time? Common sense not to push it down roads you are unfamiliar with.

HASNIC said:
Don't forget its a lack of confidence more than a lack of ability :wink:

Absolutely. Building confidence up steadily is the way to go here.

If my confidence was shaky in a car the last thing i would want is to have local bmw's, golfs and porsches screaming past me and constantly having to watch your rear view mirror. In the same ethos, Carl could go to mid wales and spend a weekend driving roads he's never done could he not?

Just IMO the ring environment isn't the best place to go if your confidence is shaky at best?

I see what you're saying Nick but it's really not as bad as you might think. I strongly recommend you go and try the place for yourselves before passing judgement.

My advice would be to do the MAC day again. Especially seeing as someone has kindly offered theirs free. What a nice bunch we all are!

Group hug!

evilowl said:
I see what you're saying Nick but it's really not as bad as you might think. I strongly recommend you go and try the place for yourselves before passing judgement.

My advice would be to do the MAC day again. Especially seeing as someone has kindly offered theirs free. What a nice bunch we all are!

Group hug!

I just think it would be kind of diving in at the deep end if you know what i mean?

You're a confident driver, and so am I and would have no worries about driving the ring, just as i have no probs driving my local roads as fast as a can BUT what seems normal to me scares the crap out of my sister :lol:

I just think if i had a confidence knock then i might find the ring quite intimidating?

I am off to the ring is all goes well in May next year btw :wink:

I spent a weekend in wales attacking the welsh roads and they are excellent! I know some cool routes where you can have a thrash in relative safety.

Seems that this thread has become quite a talking point. :D

Glad to see people coming in with ideas though. Cheers. 8)

I think you just need to put it out of your head mate. I had a big and nasty accident when I wrote off my first milano, went striaght through a fence sideways and intoa field, very nearly barrel rolling the car. It sh1t me up I must admit but I told myself that the very next time I drive that particualr road that I would go flat again and I did. Your ability as a driver hasn't diminshed, only your confidence. Attack the next bend you come to and it'll start coming back to you.

HASNIC said:
evilowl said:
HASNIC said:
Suggestions of the a atrip to the ring is THE most ridiculous thing i've heard.

Why dude? Have you never driven a road for the first time? Common sense not to push it down roads you are unfamiliar with.

HASNIC said:
Don't forget its a lack of confidence more than a lack of ability :wink:

Absolutely. Building confidence up steadily is the way to go here.

If my confidence was shaky in a car the last thing i would want is to have local bmw's, golfs and porsches screaming past me and constantly having to watch your rear view mirror. In the same ethos, Carl could go to mid wales and spend a weekend driving roads he's never done could he not?

Just IMO the ring environment isn't the best place to go if your confidence is shaky at best?

i must admit after going last july it isn't the best place to go without confidence.I thought i was confident until i went round there and saw cars flying past at incredible speeds.Mind you i took it easy as well due to the fact there was approx 500mile trip back home and i needed a car to get me back :roll: After going it defo gave me more confidnce for next time so a track day is a very good way to gain confidence fast. :wink:

I've had a few experiences on road and track that have been very :shock: .

I've never really dwelt on them as long as I understand why they've happened. Did I go into a corner too fast? Did I react in the right way to the event? Was I driving to the conditions? Have I learned anything from the experience?

Whether it helps you or not I don't know, but I like to think safe fast driving is about remembering the physics of what's happening to the car. Think about the fact that all you're doing is moving the weight of the car as you brake, accelerate and corner. Once you understand the principles of how a car will react to different inputs things become easier to work out.

Like a lot of things, us humans are afraid of the unknown. Take away the uncertainty and the fear disappears.

There's been lots of good advice in this thread. In your situation I'd book myself into a skidpan for an afternoon- preferably a real one rather than a car on a trolley- MAC can arrange this for you. Once you've got used to the feeling of a car sliding and the weight transferring, a lot of fear disappears. In a few hours you can safely learn technique that will stay with you for life. A lot of crashes I read about seem to be caused by people being caught out with how the car reacts and panicking- a skid pan will really help.

The other good idea is definately the on road MAC course. Learning the skills of anticipation and control with a qualified instructor are invaluable.

The worst thing you can be in a car is to be afraid of it, especially one like the CTR which is designed to be fun. There is no reason whatsoever that you can't get the right help to get you back into enjoyment.

10 Pence Short said:
I've had a few experiences on road and track that have been very :shock: .

I've never really dwelt on them as long as I understand why they've happened. Did I go into a corner too fast? Did I react in the right way to the event? Was I driving to the conditions? Have I learned anything from the experience?

Whether it helps you or not I don't know, but I like to think safe fast driving is about remembering the physics of what's happening to the car. Think about the fact that all you're doing is moving the weight of the car as you brake, accelerate and corner. Once you understand the principles of how a car will react to different inputs things become easier to work out.

Like a lot of things, us humans are afraid of the unknown. Take away the uncertainty and the fear disappears.

There's been lots of good advice in this thread. In your situation I'd book myself into a skidpan for an afternoon- preferably a real one rather than a car on a trolley- MAC can arrange this for you. Once you've got used to the feeling of a car sliding and the weight transferring, a lot of fear disappears. In a few hours you can safely learn technique that will stay with you for life. A lot of crashes I read about seem to be caused by people being caught out with how the car reacts and panicking- a skid pan will really help.

The other good idea is definately the on road MAC course. Learning the skills of anticipation and control with a qualified instructor are invaluable.

The worst thing you can be in a car is to be afraid of it, especially one like the CTR which is designed to be fun. There is no reason whatsoever that you can't get the right help to get you back into enjoyment.

Thanks Dan - a good read. 8)

Sorry if this has been asked before Carl, but how did your accident happen?

My first ever experience on a track was the Nurburgring :shock: I had been watching the BMW M3 driver training course that day on the ring watching them travelling around in convoy at silly speeds about 8 foot from each other every corner you could hear the tyres scream. All day I was $hitting myself thinking I am going on a 5.00pm :shock: I was praying for rain to give me an excuse not to go around.
It's not the fear of driving its the fear of smashing up your pride and joy.
Anyhow went on an loved it, I just stayed at a speed I was comfortable with and really enjoyed it.
I can drive on roads ok, I have been driving for 23 years. but I am not a trained track driver. Thats why I am going on some sort of track day training. As for the mac course on the road. mine wasn't that good it was more like a driving test

milano_chris said:
Sorry if this has been asked before Carl, but how did your accident happen?

Right hand Bend - Me, CTR and RE040's all had a difference of opinion. :cry:

Back