• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Air box cover

Hi everyone,

Went to my local Honda dealer today to pick up a new air filter. When i came to undo the screws to the airbox cover the screws are all rounded off and rusted and i cannot get them off. Just wondering if anyone has come across this problem before and what they did about sorting it?
Think Honda should have used bolts in the first place :lol:

Cheers Dan

well im away from home for a few weeks now so ill have to build the guts up to tackle it when i get back :)

Its a philips screw slot in the middle but its actually a bolt. I had same problem then realised i could just use a socket lol :)

Its a philips screw slot in the middle but its actually a bolt. I had same problem then realised i could just use a socket lol :)

Well mine are rounded so there's no way a socket will work, I tried, then had a go with a drill but still no joy.

O right not good. Not worth drilling the heads of thats loads of hassle. I dont no what to suggest

O right not good. Not worth drilling the heads of thats loads of hassle. I dont no what to suggest

Yeah I got the drill out then decided against it. I have tried everything now so think it's gona be a garage job.....

Have you tried wd40 on the screws and using a pair of grips to undo them? Failing that using a dremel to grind the heads off and then remove the top part of the box grind the screws that are in the bottom half down a bit then drill the rest out! Obviously taking the air box out first if you can dude it worked on another car I had in the past

The threads are 6mm wide so a 7mm drill within the centre of the head of the retaining bolts will easily remove the heads for removal. A pair of grips around the remaining thread after removing the top cover should be adequate to remove the remanding thread. New bolts will be needed for refitting. There is no other way to remove them unless you smash a smaller socket over the already damaged bolts to form a new hexagon for grip which will probably damage the area around the bolts on the air box.

For drilling the positive screw driver indentation on the bolt will guide the drill centre to the shank beneath the head making removal easy :)

Buy a replacement airbox for £30 off the forums if you CBA to drill it yourself.

Went to my local garage and they have managed to remove the screws and have replaced them with bolts for easier removal next time cost me £20.

Back