• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Air Con

If the air con is very low should the compressor still come on?

I know mine was low in the summer so must be very low now. I can't
hear the compressor come on when I press the button.

Hoping it just needs topping up.

It's a 53 reg ctr.

Thanks

I had this with my old '04.

They regassed it & was fine for a few days, but after it stopped again.
It seemed there was a blockage somewhere as if you turned it on & opened the bonnet you could watch the pipes freeze.

Might be worth checking mate. I know the cure was to replace the compressor & rad on mine. (I sold to a friend, but the work was already booked in under warranty)

Lets hope it just needs regassing. It's out of warrenty.

New compressor and/or rad won't be cheap.

I have booked it in at Honda for a weeks time. In the mean time going to top it up, if it's not that will take it. My mate reckons most systems have a safety vaulve that stops power to the compressor when the gas is low.

I have booked it in at Honda for a weeks time. In the mean time going to top it up, if it's not that will take it. My mate reckons most systems have a safety vaulve that stops power to the compressor when the gas is low.

Your friend is correct ;) Fingers crossed mate

If the gas is low, the compressor should still run. It is mag clutch activated which is dependent upon ambient temp (as sensed) and temp selector position in the car.

Maybe the gas is so low that the compressor is turning but is not 'loaded'. Can you here the mag clutch engage as you hit the A/C button with the cold setting selected?

Also, if the fan isn't runing, the A/C won't engage - you knew that already though no doubt.

Checked the gas this weekend, was totally empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had it looked at.

The compressor is damaged. By a stone or something.

Compressor + regass + labour £464

OUCH!! to be fair not as much as I thought for the part, vectra
one is more like £800.

Just to top things off. Went to petrol station was closed, still a bit flustered managed to scrape
my side skirts on the kerb of the petrol pump. It will buff out most of it but needs touching up aswell, also chunk out of alloy! Damn it!

May just stick refill can in just incase. Doubt they are lying to you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back