• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

air flow sensor not plugged in? help!

Evening all, just been told that my air flow sensor is taped up and not plugged in, i havent had the car long so this must have been done by the previous owner, my question is why has this been done and is it causing a problem? Thanks in advance guys.

The EP3 doesn't have an air flow sensor. It will have an Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor on the intake pipe and a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor in the inlet manifold.

Depending which one will affect the car in different ways, but it will only affect the car if it isn't held in securely and there is an air leak or if it falls out.

If the MAP sensor reads incorrectly, the car won't know the correct inlet pressure in the intake manifold, basically how much air it is pulling in. The ECU will adjust the running of the engine incorrectly which will lead to it being hard to start, sputtering/missing, blowing black smoke, poor fuel economy and it could cut out intermittently.

If the IAT reads incorrectly, outward signs are few and far between but an emissions test may reveal higher Nox readings so it could fail an MOT, or the engine may knock/ping/detonate under load which is seriously bad news as this is when the fuel/air mixture ignites out of time with the spark plug ignition. This can cause damage to the piston and valves as they are basically in the wrong position when the mixture ignites causing stress and heat build-up.

I can only imagine it would be taped if the clips are broken on the plug, or the holes where either of them fit into are knackered somehow.

Either way, it shouldn't be like that and you need to get it sorted as it will cause you problems down the line.

Is your engine management light on?

Thanks a lot for that info mate thats really helpful, no my managment light is not on which iam suprised at, should i just trying plugging it back in or will this cause further problems?

If it's held in by tape and it's currently not causing an issue, the worst that could happen is you can't plug it in properly because something is broken and then can't get it taped back on again. In which case see above really.

Have you got any pictures of it?

I havent but i will take a couple tomorrow and post them straight here, all i know is its like a black ripply cable

There are a few like that under there. :lol:

If you can take a fairly wide one then you can see roughly where in the bay it is and a close up one, that would be grand.

IMAG1100-1.jpg

Ah, get you now. That's the intake air temp sensor. I didn't realise it was completely out, I thought you meant taped in the hole.

Needs sorting pronto. I'd get the engine inspected too with a borescope through the spark plug hole to see if you've been having any detonation.

You're also sucking unfiltered air into the engine as it is getting in through the hole which is post filter.

Ok i will thanks mate, what does detonation mean? I cant underatand why its been taking off? Could this have caused some serious problems? I hope not :(

Ok i will thanks mate, what does detonation mean? I cant underatand why its been taking off? Could this have caused some serious problems? I hope not :(

I did say above, I've picked it out:

If the IAT reads incorrectly, outward signs are few and far between but an emissions test may reveal higher Nox readings so it could fail an MOT, or the engine may knock/ping/detonate under load which is seriously bad news as this is when the fuel/air mixture ignites out of time with the spark plug ignition. This can cause damage to the piston and valves as they are basically in the wrong position when the mixture ignites causing stress and heat build-up.

You're also sucking unfiltered air into the engine as it is getting in through the hole

the sensor body is still in there its just the plug lead which is off , can'y see how unfiltered air will pass through ?

the sensor body is still in there its just the plug lead which is off , can'y see how unfiltered air will pass through ?

That's very true, just had a look at the pics on a PC rather than my phone. :lol:

Right lads i untaped the sensor and i fount this stupid cheap nasty looking thing connected to the end! Any idea what the hell this is!? I have also plugged the sensor in now

IMAG1106.jpg

It's one of those god awful eBay chips that promise to give you a 20bhp gain and do naff all.

2012-11-29_18-40-58.jpg

You're well shut of it. Chuck it in the bin.

Hi

I have black smoke too?!?.... had my chain & tensioner changed about a month ago now, the car spluttered afterwards and the tech said the idle control sensor needed re-setting?... he un-plugged it for about ten mins, put it back on and the car was a bit better. Told me to drive it for a bit and it would sort itself out?... hsa been absolutely fine till this morning.... put my foot down and got a cloud of black smoke???... any advice please Loxy? :)

Black smoke could be anything really without looking at the car. Valve seals, piston rings, coked up valve stems, over fuelling....

Back