• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

alloy wheel cleaner?

anyone got any recommendations on a good alloy wheel cleaner?
my wheels are TD pro race 1.2 in black, and suffer quite bad from being covered in brake dust, doesn't help that i use mental pads(pagid rs14).

on the inside of the rim there seems to be a line around where the disc would spew out excess shite and has proved tough to get rid off. just keeping them clean is pretty tough anyway. there are some pad dust deposits on the outer edges of the spoke that are tough to remove also but i can get it if i scrape with my finger(nice...).

was considering buying the muc off wheel kit for £30. suggestions?

TD recomend you dont use any acid based cleaners, such as autoglym or wonder wheels.

The Megs one is pretty good and i dont think that is acid based as it dosnt hurt ya hands.

After cleaning might be a could idea to use a good wheel wax.....I actualy use furniture spray ploish as thats what the wheel refurbishers recomended. It stops the dust from sticking

oops. ive used both of them. but only once...and they were not in contact with the wheels for long... :oops:

stew said:
oops. ive used both of them. but only once...and they were not in contact with the wheels for long... :oops:

Its prolonged use of them, the acid eats through the powder coating

ill be chuckin them out or passing them on then. :)

so a bit of megs hot rims and mr sheen?

I like Hot Rims but also think Halfords wheel cleaner is rather good.

I personally don't use any alloy wheel cleaners as its basically hydochloric acid (sp?) which eats into the lacquer over time.

I would recommend using mers wheel wax to prevent the brake dust/crap sticking to it then cleaning it is a doddle. Normal car shampoo with warm water is fine.

I wax the alloys every time I wash my car after removing the rusted discs and cleaning them is very easy. They also stay cleaner for longer.

R20190 said:
I personally don't use any alloy wheel cleaners as its basically hydochloric acid (sp?) which eats into the lacquer over time.

I would recommend using mers wheel wax to prevent the brake dust/crap sticking to it then cleaning it is a doddle. Normal car shampoo with warm water is fine.

I wax the alloys every time I wash my car after removing the rusted discs and cleaning them is very easy. They also stay cleaner for longer.

not all wheel washes contain acid bases.

Hotshot said:
R20190 said:

not all wheel washes contain acid bases.

Correct :)

Take wheels off, jet wash them and then WD40 on a rag ;) good for 5 or 6 washes of the car before you need to repeat to prevent the dust sticking 8)

SOates82 said:
Take wheels off, jet wash them and then WD40 on a rag ;) good for 5 or 6 washes of the car before you need to repeat to prevent the dust sticking 8)

You fricking pikey Steve :shock: :lol: :lol:

new problem, got a bit of a build up of dust from before i started the new cleaning technique. so how do i remove(safely) solidified brake dust thats attached to the wheels?

new problem, got a bit of a build up of dust from before i started the new cleaning technique. so how do i remove(safely) solidified brake dust thats attached to the wheels?

Got the same problem, my wheels wont come clean.

Ive used Megs, Auto Glym, Muc Off, Megs Metal Polish and then a wheel brush! Its doing my head in to the point im going to buy Wonder Wheels and let the acid do its work.

Bilberry safe wheel cleaner, its the best stuff I've ever used on my wheels.

Back