• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Alloygators: friend or foe?

Hello guys! I have checked the entire forum for any threads regarding the "alloygators" rim protectors, and I couldn't find one. I would like to know if anyone here is actually using (or wants to) this kind of rim protectors, and also any oppinions about this product. I am quite "particular" about my wheels, and I am contemplating buying the "alloygators" to avoid damaging the wheels (standard 18" on a Milano Red 2008 Type R), instead of wrapping them in cotton wool! I've read mixed reviews regarding the use of "alloygators" in other forums: some people think they are the best thing since sliced bread; others think they are a complete nuisance.
So please, don't be shy guys! Give us your oppinions please!
:smt071

Which forums did you find these other opinions? be interested to see the threads myself.

Hi AliA! I think I saw some comments on the Mazda RX8 Owners Club... And also when I googled "Alloygators reviews" or something like that! As I said, mixed reviews: some people love them, some people hate them! It looks like the main problem (the alloygator falling partially or completely off the wheel, damaging the paintwork in some cases) has something to do with the wheel/tyre combination, that's why I would like to get some oppinions before I buy my FN2 a set of them (in black, by the way)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never heard of them till you posted about them, hence why I'd asked about the other reviews too. They seem an interesting idea, but I think it something I'd need to see up close and personal. No point having a nice car and then sticking some plastic shiz on the rim, no matter if it does potentially save kerbing. It's not something that happens too often if you are careful.

Welcome to the forum btw.

I've seen them "in the flesh" and they look quite OK (I saw them in black, in a Mazda RX8 R3 with the original - and gorgeous - BBS 19" rims). Some people buy them in black (as I would), so they look like "extensions" of the tyres' shoulders. Others buy them in silver, so they "blend" (not particularly well, if I may add) to the wheels (and make them look a tad bigger - quite handy if you're driving your grandfather's Fiat Uno on 13" wheels). Of course they come in some garish colours, but the black looks quite nice - and discreet. As I said, I am a bit "obsessive compulsive" with my alloys, so instead of having them refurbished once a week (not that I drive THAT badly...), I think these Alloygators would be the last line of defence!
But, as I said, some tyre/wheel combinations may cause the rim protectors to become partially or totally detached, that's why I am asking if anyone from the forum is using them on a FN2 with the "standard" 18" wheels. Anyone?:asw:

I wont be getting them.
I did my research, they not cooL at ALL! :(
Steer Type R Clear :)

The Problem:

+ You could damage your tyres/wheels when fitting them
+ They could damage your body work if they come out at high speed
+ Is your car insured with them fitted
+ They can make your tyres go flat and damage the seal between tyre and wheel.

Problem solved:

Don't let your Misses borrow your car :lol:

Thanks for your opinion Marky... I think the scale is tipping towards the "leave it" instead of "love it"! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;-ITp2f0nNis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ITp2f0nNis&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

YES! I DO HAVE BLACK RIMS, BUT NOT SURE THE RED GATORS WOULD LOOK RIGHT? IM GOING BLACK ON BLACK I THINK..........

If I had black rims, I would put black Alloygators, no doubt about it... But for the "brave and bold" (not me, I am a "shrinking violet"!) red on black would be interesting...
Last week I saw a black Porsche 911, with black rims and yellow Alloygators... Funny enough, it looked VERY nice!

Back