• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

alternative ecu brands..... any good?

Hi,

You might be better off asking this question to the tuners, Artech, TDi North, etc...

As I would assume alot of how good they are depends on how easy they are to map and hiw user friendly they are.

Have you considered a K100???

first things first....last time i asked a tuner what he thought of hondata he replyed with...'i only sell hondata k pro to people i dont like'

I swear those were his exact words...

... i suppose some are only as good as the tuner doing the work.

Anyone?

first things first....last time i asked a tuner what he thought of hondata he replyed with...'i only sell hondata k pro to people i dont like'

I swear those were his exact words...

... i suppose some are only as good as the tuner doing the work.

Anyone?

What tuner was it?

guys, this isnt a thread intended to hate a company's opinion in any way, his comment is his own and i think he's disadvantaged himself expaining that way....

now i mention it he did give a very loose explanation.... the hondata system takes him longer to tune than other ecu's therefore pricing of a higher spec ecu would be similar if you offset the mapping. Suits... i guess you are right i the customer can only compare the spec sheets...the user interface is not something i can see myself changing..surely that would destroy all the tuners work :p

feedback on ecu's aside from the hondata?

Last edited by a moderator:
guys, this isnt a thread intended to hate a company's opinion in any way, his comment is his own and i think he's disadvantaged himself expaining that way....

Lets get some feedback on ecu's aside from the hondata...

Depending on who the tuner is, will dictate how much he may or may not know about Kpro/K100 hence I would like to know who the tuner is. Considering the fastest EP3's (be it track or drag) in the country all run Kpro and haven't had the need to step to a complete standalone ecu option.

Other ECU's work, and if you're wanting something which will most likely be capable of far more than you'll ever need then DTA/Motec/Haltech/AEM/EFI and so on, can all be made to work, but they won't be plug and play, they will need either custom looms or splicing into your existing loom. You'll lose your immobiliser if you go for a standalone system and it will work out costing a lot more than a Kpro/K100.

It might be best talking to tuners who know these cars best, and the reasons why they use Kpro rather than a Motec or equivalent.

I couldnt agree more, i was pretty shocked at the time...and i will not be going to him for an ecu nor will i be mentioning the company... he can make his statement and keep it.
The way i see it.. like you said he may not know the hondata kit that well... or maybe he's more familiar with kits like the AEM, motec and such. when i thought about it more... if i were to buy hondata from him.. would he put the effort in to extract all the power etc etc etc

I would happily mention his name but he's not here to put foward his opinion.. and to be honest all i have is my slightly sketchy opinion of him..
baring in mind i can assure you he's built a lot of fast reliable k's on hondata!... im going to leave it there if its ok :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes his name is dan...but no its not DMF! hahahaa

ive heard of bad things from DMF and Artech but i hear many people vouch for Artech, a lot of there work looks very very good, im undecided on that one.

Just to repeat myself...this guy's made no mistakes, ive not heard one bad word about him.

So say who he is, and we can either vouch for him or advice alternatives. We're trying to help.

Just come out with it :).. If it doesn't help you - it'll help some other unsuspecting soul whom might have been considering going to them for mapping - and if he's lambasting Kpro as per one of your earlier comments, I think it will be helpful if he or the company were identified - because Hondata's big in this scene.. etc. etc. so for him to say that; like I'd like to avoid him/them.. I'm sure anyone else considering using them, unknowingly, would too.

He has deleted a post, but I can view it.

In my 8 years of owning Type R's I have never heard of said name :)

Just stick with KPRO, tried and tested to be good and reliable.. why bother with anything else?

Remember Jakan Honda Stu? Same bloke behind that, is part of this one. I'm guessing he's pushing AEM as the ECU.

Hopefully his work is better and more honest this time round than with Jakan, I just remember horror story after horror story from there.

Back