• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Aluminium

i have that, it is good, but struggled last time to get it really clean.
what is best way to clean it first, i think a sponge might scratch it?

you could use a brillo pad which will slighty scuff the surface, then polish it up with yir autoglym metal polish.

#00 wire wool will get rid of the pitting and only dull the finish slightly.

Then as above, AG metal polish to finish it off.

Above method is perfect for the finish on the exhaust tailpipes.:D

i could use all of the above, will try on a hidden area. what i am polishing is a caterham superseven bonnet, so cant use alot of pressure which is why it's bad to clean.
cheers guys.

you could use a brillo pad which will slighty scuff the surface, then polish it up with yir autoglym metal polish.

Don't use any form of brillo or steel wool on aluminium as the metal will turn worse than it is already (in causes bimetalic corrosion). I worked on aircraft for 10 years and that was always a no no!!

Get some scotchbrite pads and use with a little metal polish but unforunately you will not get rid of the pitting without removing a lot of material. Dioxidene is the proper stuff for removing corrosion from aluminium and then alochrome to reprotect it but both products are extremely hazardous and may not be available on the market.

Just have a go with the scotchbrite and metal polish first and then finish with just the metal polish to shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
#00 wire wool will get rid of the pitting and only dull the finish slightly.

Then as above, AG metal polish to finish it off.

Above method is perfect for the finish on the exhaust tailpipes.:D

Thats because the tailpipes are chromed steel but the wire wool can still leave traces in the chrome and cause rusting. ;)

cheers, i will get some pads, will hav a look on the net for that stuff you suggested, but will use metal polish first.
the matel is really thin as it is so may not be possible to get rid of the pitted marks.
do you hav any suggestions what is best to clean the dirt off first, i think a pressure washer so i dont have to rub the matal that much.?

The other thing to remember apart from bi-metallic corrosion is that aluminium does oxidise and will turn a dull whitesh colour over time. So either polish it from time to time or get it coated in a less reactive material.

The other thing to remember apart from bi-metallic corrosion is that aluminium does oxidise and will turn a dull whitesh colour over time. So either polish it from time to time or get it coated in a less reactive material.

The car is just after some tlc, its been sat in garage for years, i hav polished it but was aware that it was hard to get clean.
It aint my car but i would love it to be, but cant get insurance haha.

Back