• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Am I burning oil. Ep3

Hello I've just bought an ep3 civic type r 2001. And I am wondering if I'm burning oil. I pretty much get in vtec all the time when driving around and I do about £40 fuel a day which is around 80 miles. It seems to be that on the dip stick I'm on about half way min and max. And after a week I'm on min. Is this normall as they rev so high. Also I don't have a single oil leak and there's no smoke on vtec. Nothing. Am I worrying or is this right.

They do use alot of oil specially if you are in vtec alot. top up and keep an eye on it.

If you just got the car and don't know what oil is in it i would do an oil change then keep an eye on it and if needed keep it topped up with the oil you have put in it. i would suggest 5-40w full synthetic.

Thanks

Thanks. When I got home after the 130 miles drive with it. I checked the oil it was under min. Wasn't even on the stick. Well maybe a little bit. So I though **** and put a litre of castrol 5w30 fully in. Was still low ish. So I put another ltr in. This put it to max. I look again a week later. Ie tonight and it's about 1 3rd up dipstick

Average is 1l per 1000 miles. Some use more, some less. Keep an eye on it

I've found they use more if you use a 0W-30 or 5w-30 oil. Change it to 5w-40 as has been suggested and you could see an improvement.

That being said, £40 for 80 miles works out at around 12mpg. I only get those sort of figures on a track day. The last track day I did I used a litre of oil and my car normally doesn't use any at all. So if that's the case, your oil usage is probably about right.

Don't let your oil level get below minimum on the dip stick. There are only really two things that wreck these engines and that is mis-shifting where you over rev the engine and running them low on oil. Below minimum is asking for trouble. You should top up to max and check it more often, carry a 1l bottle top up with you if needs be.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it vtecs do use oil, I thought the same after buying mine being my first vtec. If you like to put your toe down that much though then you will need to keep an eye on your oil level, I check mine every other day just to be on the safe side and always keep it on the max. I agree with Loxy never let it get too low aswell a light you never want to see on the dash is the oil light by then it's probs too late and that's going to cost more than a bottle of oil. Im fairly new to the type r scene but from my experience is just have good fluids in your engine. Oil, coolant ect and keep an eye in the level and I would say good luck trying to break it they really are bullet proof. Aint going to lie mate was abit concerned when I bought mine too but turned out to be normal so hope this gives you some peice of mind. Enjoy bud

Back