• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Amp Install Help

I know theres a few threads on it but cant find the answer im looking for

The last time a "professional" installed one for me he put the AUX and power leads down the same side of the car which isnt right, right? As it caused a buzzing noise and pops.

So im gonna run the power down the left and the aux down the right but need help on where to feed the wires and where to feed the power cable through to the engine bay.

Also does it matter what side i feed the remote cable down ?

As you can tell im a noob and im preparing to do my 1st sub/amp install.

:D

Remote cable should go with the aux leads but it doesn't matter. Some joining kits have the remote cable attached to the aux lead.

If you already have kit in the car the power cable is already in through the bulkhead so just re-route down the other side of the car. Will take a few hours if you've not done it before.

Just remember to remove the fuse from the box in the engine bay or remove it from the battery before move it as you'll have a live lead otherwise.

Thanks i havnt had a sub/amp in the civic i had one in my old golf so im starting from scratch.

the power cable looks simple its just the aux and running it down the drivers side into the back of the headunit that looks tricky as to where to feed them through

It's easy mate, just takes time and you have to be careful with all the clips.

Run the powercable in through the pre existing grommet on the bulkhead, then down the passenger side. The best earth point is under the rear seat iirc.

Remote/aux from behind the headunit then above your knees if you're sat in the drivers seat behind the panel and down the drivers side.

Run the powercable in through the pre existing grommet on the bulkhead,

Noob Reporting In....

Had a look before and i cant see which grommet to feed the power cable through?

I should just pay someone to fit it but i wanna do it myself and earn some man points

It's on the passenger side, behind the airbox. It's a tight squeeze, but will fit.

waynes-world_l.jpg

Best thing to do when wiring installs through grommits, get a metal coathanger and bend it straight, mask tape the power wire to it and push through the grommit (engine bay > passanger footwell) and then just pull the coathanger/wire. Saves punching a larger hole in the grommit, keeping a nice seal.

The AUX should be kept seperate from power & earth as it picks up interference easy, although as chris said you can get pre-wired kits with the AUX & remote wire.

right power wire is through the engine bay and into the first bit of plastic trim in the footwell

i now need to feed it to the boot , do i need to remove the 2 nuts under the passenger seatbelt so i can take the trim off around it, also do i need to remove anything else like rear speaker, seats etc to get into the boot?

hoping to get it all set up tomorrow or saturday :D

Yes you need to remove the two nuts mate, everything else pulls off, but be careful not to break the clips but on the other hand you do need a bit of force to get some parts free. It's a fine art. :)

You may have to remove the flat bit of the seat, to do so, there is a nut located underneath the right hand seatbelt holder, just off centre. This holds the rear bench in place, once that's off it should pull free with two clips at the front releasing.

why exactly do u need to run the wires other side of the car (may sound a stupid question but i dont know) cause there all in cases and i have sent mien down the same side for 2 amps and rems cables ect and not had this problem is tht just luck or what:S?

why exactly do u need to run the wires other side of the car (may sound a stupid question but i dont know) cause there all in cases and i have sent mien down the same side for 2 amps and rems cables ect and not had this problem is tht just luck or what:S?

Please, no text speak.

It's mentioned in the first post, due to noise interference from the power cable. If you're running a sub only you might not notice it, but if you're powering speakers in the door you would.

my last install was just a sub and all the wires went down the same side and i had a constant "buzzing" noise coming out the sub and it used to pop everytime the amp turned on and off.

Im installing just a sub this time, should i risk putting them all down 1 side in the hope the last one was a "one off" ... it would make it much easier for myself.

what do ? :lol:

i have a sub with a built amp and an amp to power 6x9s and wired both together and dont notice anything but the moment i do i will rewire it

Power cable is now in the boot and connected to the battery (took fuse out of holder)

i managed to do it without taking the rear bench out

that's all I've done cos of the stupid rain

hopefully i can do the rest tomorrow

Back