• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

And its a fail!

DMN

Car went for its MOT today and failed on both rear drop-links and a sticking front N/S brake.

The drop-links will be no bother, although I fear the grinder may be called upon. The brake is more of a concern as being as vital as they are, its not one I want to get wrong.

Any advice for giving them a quick clean/lube?

I've got a piston re-wind tool, so my plan is to take it off, give it all a clean. The apply lots of copper-grease and white lithium grease and throw it back together and see if thats cleared it. The car has been pulling to the left, so it makes sense that there is an issue on that side.

You can buy kits to do a refurbishment on the brake callipers (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIV...ivic|Cars+Type:2.0+Type-R&hash=item4d1926ff99) although you will need to a little mechanically competent.

If not, you could send the calliper away to be refurbished professionally, Godspeed Brakes in South Wales can do all 4 callipers for £310 which includes sand blasting, powdercoating, new seals and pistons. I didnt ask how much it would be for just one or just the fronts so I cannot help you there. Another company quoted me £600 for 4 and there was no powdercoating so I think it is a very good deal.

I hope a quick seeing too on Sunday should fix it. By seeing too, I mean a clean and lube of the piston and sliders.

Its usually the piston getting corroded. Replacement is the only way forward tbh. It might work for a while and pass mot. But it will start sticking again,
Mine started really bad so got rac out and they cleaned and greased it. Got me home and lasted about a week then started sticking again.
In the end i got the refurb kit. If you have a compressor there easy to do.

Yeah the piston is very dead. The little notch you can see that goes right round that can be seen in your photos is actually rusted through in places.

I took it off, gave everything a clean and its now locked on very tight to the disc. I have whole new caliper on order.

Well thats sorted. New caliper fitted, took the time to fit braided brake pipes whilst I was at.

The car is back on the road.

Back